Allergy Prevention and Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohrinet

Reaction score
I've read that you can use local honey to help prevent spring allergies. Is there any information as to whether or not these qualities from the honey would be consistent after it has been aged and fermented?

I assume that most will stay viable if it is uncooked, and maybe some more would be lost if it were cooked.

There's something fascinating to me about helping to prevent allergies and drinking mead at the same time.

Any thoughts?

I think some experimentation is in order. Will probably take several five-gallon batches to know for sure :D

As amusing as it sounds to drink mead with the hopes of curing alergies. Does drunkeness count as a cure? You no longer worry about it.

The answer is NO it wont do the same job. You see the fermentation process and the settling till clear would kill what is good in it. The reason why it works is the slow aclimation of the pollens and other factors that get fermented away and settled out of the mead. It is recomended to use unfiltered local honey made within 50 miles of where you live. The reason why it is in that area is that is the range of bees for their flowers, to get the same pollens and the like as you are alergic to. I have a freind that swears by this method of curing. Just one teaspoon of honey a day for 3 weeks. Then repeat next year. He said that he did it 3 years in a row and he never had seasonal alergies again.

Back