I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the recipe for what I made last night, sweet and sour pork. I don't measure so everything is approximate.

2 cups beef broth reduced to one cup
4-5 good size slashes of worcestershire sauce
About 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
chili powder- as much as you want for a little kick

Add a half pound pork loin, cut into small cubes, to the liquid. Simmer and cook the pork a couple of hours. Add about 1/2 cup of rice, maybe a little extra water. 20 minutes to cook the rice. Then move to a cool burner, let it cool to room temperature then refrigerate. I refrigerated over night.

Then the next day it's really easy. Heat some real butter in a pan, about 1/4 stick, add broccoli cut to small pieces, cook the broccoli or whatever veggies you want to add, beat 2 eggs, add to pan and scramble them. Add the cold pork and rice and pan fry everything together. I added a coupe splashes of olive oil at this point and also a few splashes of soy sauce.

Tasted like Chinese take-out, only better!!

Don't you need vinegar in sweet and sour? Where's the sour?!

BobbiLynn said:
Here is the recipe for what I made last night, sweet and sour pork. I don't measure so everything is approximate. 2 cups beef broth reduced to one cup 4-5 good size slashes of worcestershire sauce About 2 tablespoons of brown sugar chili powder- as much as you want for a little kick Add a half pound pork loin, cut into small cubes, to the liquid. Simmer and cook the pork a couple of hours. Add about 1/2 cup of rice, maybe a little extra water. 20 minutes to cook the rice. Then move to a cool burner, let it cool to room temperature then refrigerate. I refrigerated over night. Then the next day it's really easy. Heat some real butter in a pan, about 1/4 stick, add broccoli cut to small pieces, cook the broccoli or whatever veggies you want to add, beat 2 eggs, add to pan and scramble them. Add the cold pork and rice and pan fry everything together. I added a coupe splashes of olive oil at this point and also a few splashes of soy sauce. Tasted like Chinese take-out, only better!!

Your recipe sounds like something tasty, BobbiLynn! I look forward to giving it a try!

Yo! Hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm stuck in an airport (NYC) overnight. Ugh. Catching up in the forum now.

This song is keeping me awake. For your late night soundtrack, Rock Mafia. I posted this on the forum recently, but I have no idea were I put it. Not in this thread, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
passedpawn said:
Yo! Hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm stuck in an airport (NYC) overnight. Ugh. Catching up in the forum now. This song is keeping me awake. For your late night soundtrack, Rock Mafia. I posted this on the forum recently, but I have no idea were I put it. Not in this thread, though. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05Op6hMzb8

Hey Pappy! One good thing about airports in my opinion - Leaving them! Safe travels PP.

Don't you need vinegar in sweet and sour? Where's the sour?!

Worcestershire is mostly vinegar! I had thought about adding extra vinegar, or maybe even lime juice. but it was sour enough with just the worcert...

Hey lschiavo,

How's your new rig coming along? I remember you posting about upgrading to some large stainless barrels.

Hey back at cha. And thanks for noticing. It is all worked out in my head. I think we have all the parts. It's just hard to find time for the brewery this time of year. It will be done...soon...I hope;)

Hey back at cha. And thanks for noticing. It is all worked out in my head. I think we have all the parts. It's just hard to find time for the brewery this time of year. It will be done...soon...I hope;)

I understand the time thing....and the weather up there.

I look forward to seeing your progress. :mug:

Ischiavo, believe me if I lived close by I'd give you a hand with your new build. I can't weld and my electrics aren't what they used to be but would lend a hand anyway I can.

Your old hlt says differently..

Got me there. Plans have changed though. 1 vessel 55gal HLT 11kW is on the way.

Ischiavo, believe me if I lived close by I'd give you a hand with your new build. I can't weld and my electrics aren't what they used to be but would lend a hand anyway I can.

Dan, you are always welcome. We'll get this thing built in a couple months and I have plenty places you can shack up.

lschiavo said:
Got me there. Plans have changed though. 1 vessel 55gal HLT 11kW is on the way. Dan, you are always welcome. We'll get this thing built in a couple months and I have plenty places you can shack up.

You have no idea how tempting that sounds. Someday my friend we'll definitely meet and have a few (many) brews together.

lschiavo said:
Cmon up Dan. I think the worst is over. It should be in the 10's maybe 20's this week. Let's not talk about wind chill though. Maybe I should come visit you;)

I remember growing up in Illinois or living in Antarctica, 30 degrees was a warm spell.

Now it gets below 50-60 and it's fireplace weather.

When I eventually get moved and settled in Hawaii, you have a place to stay and we can brew some beer together and complain about the heat!

Cheers brother!

Hey Dan,

Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I enjoy your posts! I don't always have the energy to engage due to life's circumstances but I always enjoy hearing what you and everyone else here have to say and I check in when I can.

Cheers to everyone here.

:mug:

I am somewhat jealous...I nearly bought those vessels a few years ago. What kind of service do you have to have to power that system?

The drums are really nice and heavy duty. I'm going to feel a little guilty punching all those holes in them. I have 100A service to the shop. With everything running, it will be loaded pretty well.

I remember growing up in Illinois or living in Antarctica, 30 degrees was a warm spell.

Now it gets below 50-60 and it's fireplace weather.

When I eventually get moved and settled in Hawaii, you have a place to stay and we can brew some beer together and complain about the heat!

Cheers brother!

Yeah, 30s are great. These long cold spells get depressing. Always wind too. I guess that comes from being situated between two great lakes. I actually have a much harder time acclimating to the heat.

Hey Dan,

Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I enjoy your posts! I don't always have the energy to engage due to life's circumstances but I always enjoy hearing what you and everyone else here have to say and I check in when I can.

Cheers to everyone here.

:mug:

Thanks jsguitar! That's always nice to hear. This place is pretty dang interesting, lot of great people here! :mug:

My banana tastes funny.

::ban::ban::ban:

bush-banana-61631.jpg

should read Steven King's 11/22/63.

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the book, I used to love everything SK wrote until about 10 years ago, now, some of his books I think are good, others not so much. I love a good Stephen King book.

I am trying to make a screen door today for my porch, it's screened in but doesn't have a door. I need to be able to keep the chickens off the porch. I cut the 1 by 4's the size I needed to make the frame, cut smaller pieces at angles to stabilize the corners, and a piece of wood horizontal mid way up. I am just going to staple the screen on with wood staples and staple gun. Screw the hinges in place and I should have a screen door. Wood glue is my friend while I figure out how to get this right. 2 pieces for the height, 3 pieces of 1 by 4 for the width in the middle of the 2 sides, then the screen, hinges, and pieces to secure the corners. This better work. So far it's heavier than I thought it would be and hope the hinges I found are large enough to hold it in place.

Made it through the last final exam today. A short stack of grading to be done by Friday, then I am more or less free until March 3. I'm glad this semester is over, but it is somewhat sad to have the characters in my class move on. A lot of good kids. I hope they do well.

I checked in on my lager - my equipment room is holding at 48F and the ferment is (slowly) cranking away. Looks pretty happy so far. It's strange to have a ferment actually going at that low of a temperature. This ought to be a nice clean brew. I'm not sure if I am going to do a d-rest or just let it sit in a nice long primary. Maybe a 4 week primary, 1 week d-rest, then lager in late January? From what I am reading a d-rest sounds like something to accelerate turnaround. I'm content to let this sit - I expect to be drinking this ice cold in the heart of the summer, so time is not an issue.

March 3rd? That's a long break man.

It's not complete freewheeling. I have a lot of prep work for the next semester and a lot of administrative crap to deal with. The schedule is just pretty loose. I have a lot of lab maintenance and project assembly to do.

And after teaching 18 credit-hours per semester, you need some down time. It's pretty intense being live for that long with that many students. You need some time for beer drinking and omphaloskepsis.

yep signed up fir this a few days ago. looking forward toit. almost as much as watching NZ rally back and kick irelands ar*s% while enjoying a weihenstephaner vitus ( i thiink i spelt that right)

It's not complete freewheeling. I have a lot of prep work for the next semester and a lot of administrative crap to deal with. The schedule is just pretty loose. I have a lot of lab maintenance and project assembly to do.

And after teaching 18 credit-hours per semester, you need some down time. It's pretty intense being live for that long with that many students. You need some time for beer drinking and omphaloskepsis.

A new word for my vernacular, thanks!

Well, I hope you have a pretty belly button then.

Back