Are all Barley Crusher Maltmill handles this poorly made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerMcAllen

Reaction score
So I just got my Barley Crusher Maltmill from AHS and was shocked by the quality of the handle. I know I shouldn't be to worried about it since it is just a handle, but for $125 I guess I was expecting something more. Are they all like this, or did I get a bad handle?

A nice grease stain, and the top is a full 1/8" longer than the bottom.
Whole.jpg

Dent in handle
Dent1.jpg

Another dent in handle
Dent2.jpg

End shot
BadEnd.jpg

Take handle off, insert drill. I have only had mine for 6-8 months but it has easily gone through 200 or so lbs of grain with no problems.

+1 for the drill. I only use the handle when my drill battery dies. As long as it works, I really don't care what the handle looks like. You paid $125 for the mill, the handle is just some wooden doweling and aluminum.

To be honest, I haven't looked that closely at mine, but I didn't notice anything wrong with the handle.

If it really bothers you, then why not contact the seller and see if they will exchange it for you.

By the looks of that handle they had already started in on the drinking that day. My BC works OK but the quality control is pretty awful. The base of mine looks like it was jigsawed by a five year old. My handle was much nicer, but as most people I rarely use it.

The handle on mine looks cheap too, but only used it once then went to a drill. $125 is cheap for a mill. Most cost much more and if have a handle/base are of similar quality.

I got a 1Hp motor direct coupled and a VFD on mine. Have crushed hundreds of pounds. I tried the handle for 20 seconds if I remember correctly. Now I don't know where it is.

BTW give the man (Randy) a break. He is like most in the homebrewing equipment business, working from money out of the family grocery budget and spending 50 hours a week slaving for some other dude to pay his mortgage and building brewing equipment on the side out of love for the hobby and hopes that he'll make enough money to someday take his wife to Hawaii.
HD

Send Randy an email. I had a problem with my barley crusher, that was my fault, and he helped me with repairing it at no charge. This service I received was top notch, and I highly recommend the barley crusher because of it.
I also used the handle intially, but the thrill of crushing by hand becomes old quickly.

Latest posts

Back