Apfelwein question: infection? (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamstonBrew

Reaction score
As EdWort suggested I "brewed" two apfelweins, about 2 weeks apart. My first batch is going into its fourth week. It's darkening, starting to clear a bit, but still bubbling. I noticed after 2.5 weeks the bubbles started to actually pile up around the top in a neat looking ring.

I also noticed at least 2-3 weeks ago that there were tiny white solid looking particles on the surface of the liquid. There is also a very pale translucent film surrounding them I can tell when I move it around a bit. It LOOKS like, and I am hoping to the beer gods, yeast... but... well I want to see what the pros here make of it.

It was very difficult to take good pics as there is moisture and condensation on the inside of the carboy that the camera had a hard time getting through. You can see the neat geometric CO2 bubbles piling up and also a ring of yeast debris (I guess) left from the more vigorous part of the early fermentation. I circled the parts in question and these are the best photos I could manage:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I figured as much but pics I have seen seem very clear and not marred by anything funky like this.

Will these colonies of yeast fall out when the wine clears or just hang out on top?

I'll need to buy a fourth fermenter!

Man I can't wait to try this... I might be able to run my car off it based on the OG and expected FG. Friggin jet fuel.

If you say it looks normal, then I am commencing relaxation right... about... now... ahhhh....

If the yeast on the sides bother you, then you can swirl the carboy gently to sweep them back into the apfelwein. At least that's what I did.

I know, I know... overboard. You should probably just leave it alone.

-Steve

That actually looks pretty normal. Mine did the same thing. Very active in bubbling to the date and its been almost 3 weeks since I assmembled this bad boy. My best bet to you would be brew something else in the mean while, forget about your apfelwein for the time being... Yes its really hard, i want to try mine so badly but time and patience is a virtue that all brewers must have.

Back