Potential infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevrin

Reaction score
I am very new to the world of homebrewing. I started 2 new brews with my dad almost 2 weeks ago.

There is a white floating thing on the side of the carboy for my cherry mead.
20230501_225917.jpg

There is also a white ring of what looks to be the same stuff in my blueberry one. Also in the blueberry one, I'm pretty sure it is just a piece of blueberry at the top of the carboy from when it exploded but it brownish with white surrounding it.
20230501_230453.jpg

Whenever I swirl it around, it kinda just dissolves back into the must. Not sure if an infection would do that but still slightly concerned.

It is a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it looks normal to me. It is likely yeast and/or other misc items in the honey. The more unfiltered the honey, the greater amount of stuff that you will see.

Agree with @MightyMosin .

Sanitize a long handled spoon or stir stick. MIx it up a bit. If it disolves or easily breaks up. I suspect its yeast and or krausen (foam) from your ferment.

If not "hairy" and colored likely not bacterial growth.

I hesitated to answer, but now that the experts have weighed in - I was thinking the same, it is likely fine.

Back