n00b kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
1) How do you refill a Sankey keg?

2) Is there any problem with putting 5 gallon batches in Sankey kegs?

3) Is refrigeration necessary for Sankey/Corny kegs?

Sorry for the n00bishness.

EDIT: This should probably be in the Beginners forum. Sorry

Most home brewers don't use sankey kegs because they are hard to fill, you have to remove the valve and the post sanitize it through that tiny little hole and then fill it with beer. the cornie kegs hold 5 gallons and have a nice opening to clean and fill through.

I would say that soda kegs are allot better. they are much easier to clean and to obtain. Unless your brew 10 to 15 gallon for each batch they are really not worth the time.

I also use my brewing equipment more than my boat. :mug:

Another question, how do you test if a corny holds pressure? There's actually an electric supply yard that has a ton of old corny's out back that I plan on visiting this weekend.

To see if a cornie holds pressure, you put about 20 to 30 PSI of CO2 in it and spray it with soapy water and look for leaks. The other alternative is to let it sit overnight under pressure and see if it is still pressurized in the morning. With most used kegs, you need to replace the gaskets and o rings so if they don't hold pressure at the dump, it doesn't mean they are unfixable.

Parts are available to fix up old cornies... new seals and poppet valve.

Back