I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby is back in the hospital tonight, on IV fluids, just as I predicted. It took 5 family members to coax him into the car, to take him to the emergency room. 5 of them and only one of me. How do they think I am supposed to do it by myself? Watching him suffer is painful to me, I can't deal with it anymore.

Hey late nighters, I just began a two gallon batch of Yooper's banana wine. It is cooling now. To my horror, I just realized I am out of wine yeast. I have 2 packets of Safale US-05, bread yeast and rice yeast balls.

Should I:
1. Leave it in the fermenter and pitch wine yeast tomorrow when the LHBS opens
2. Pitch an US-05 left it start the ferment then pitch the wine yeast tomorrow
3. Pitch the bread yeast
4. Pitch a couple yeast balls
5. Pitch the wort (not really an option).

Thanks!

Just logged in, looks like everybody else has a life and something better to do. Lone wolf again. ;)

The Ris looks splendid. Very yummy.

Bobbi, you get through it one day at a time. Some days are better than others. You are aware, I have never gone through what you and your husband are enduring so my bold words of wisdom are easier said than done. But listening to you talk these last few months, I believe that is what you have been doing. One day at a time. You have displayed strength like I've never known; strength maybe you didn't know you had. The two of you have faced life struggling challenges more than any person should ever have to.

Tomorrow is another day and each one gets harder and harder. You did right spending time with your son and meeting new friends. You have been the soul caretaker through an horrendous time. Your body, heart and mind need the rejuvenation. If you didn't take that time, you'd not be helpful at all. We're only human and can only take so much until we meet a breaking point.

Hang in there BobbiLynn.

With love and respect,
Dan

Hey late nighters, I just began a two gallon batch of Yooper's banana wine. It is cooling now. To my horror, I just realized I am out of wine yeast. I have 2 packets of Safale US-05, bread yeast and rice yeast balls.

Should I:
3. Pitch the bread yeast

Thanks!

Hey LRB!

Guess I'm not the only one up right now. Think I saw BBL earlier. Wish I could answer your question but I don't know jack squat about wine making. :mug:

Hey LRB!

Guess I'm not the only one up right now. Think I saw BBL earlier. Wish I could answer your question but I don't know jack squat about wine making. :mug:

Yep, its kinda quiet here tonight. I'm sure the wine will be okay. I just keep looking in my fridge wondering where the yeast packet went. I don't recall using it. Maybe I never bought it.

No, a 9 year old, but I haven't seen him doing any science experiments lately.

Well then, maybe you just thought about buying it, was nearly ready to buy it, talked about buying but never did. I do this often in things I mean to talk to my wife about. Then we talk and I say remember I told you about such and such.. She says know you didn't. I'm not sure if it's her memory or mine, or our communication skills that are lacking.

Whoops, that sounded almost deep. :drunk:

Well then, maybe you just thought about buying it, was nearly ready to buy it, talked about buying but never did. I do this often in things I mean to talk to my wife about. Then we talk and I say remember I told you about such and such.. She says know you didn't. I'm not sure if it's her memory or mine, or our communication skills that are lacking.

Whoops, that sounded almost deep. :drunk:

The riddle you posted on the other thread has me stumped (for now)
but it cleared my head and I thought of a decent solution to my lack of wine yeast problem. I took out a keg from my keezer and put the wine in. The cold should slow down any nasties long enough to get the proper yeast tomorrow. :)

I was a Waltons fan as a kid. We watched every episode. Do they still make shows like that?

No.

Labrat, I would have pitched the safale-05, it's good for up to 12% ABV, then pitch the wine yeast in a week or 2. If you don't get to the LHBS shop today, doing that would be fine. Some people say transfer, then pitch the new yeast, but you don't have to transfer first.

Hubby is fine. He'll probably be released from the hospital today or tomorrow. Seems he got out working in the field in 90 degree weather and no one had the sense to stop him. He has to stay out of the sun. He's probably happy that I'm not around to nag him about what he should or should not be doing. But see what happens when I am not around? Yep, a trip to the ER. I'm staying here in the city, not going to rush home because family is freaking out. I dealt with enough, it's their turn. It's true, I had no idea I was capable of dealing with this stuff. There are 5 of them, one of me, so I told them deal with it, I have other work to get done. Why they think I am supposed to be caretaker 24/7... I need a break, I've had enough for now. He'll be fine.

A couple weeks ago, my doctor told me about something called "caretaker role strain". Said it's diagnosable and treatable. Today I finally looked up what that meant and I think I have that. Reached my limit, need a break. I still have the apartment to myself, not sure where the boys are. And not about to start checking on them. I think I'll take a nap now.

Good morning here.

I was a Waltons fan as a kid. We watched every episode. Do they still make shows like that?

I believe it was on Thursday nights? We watched it as a family every week as well.

No, I don't think they make shows like that anymore. To bad.

Taking a little break. Spent the last few hours in the yard. Damm yard. I now have a couple trailers worth of tree branches and bamboo stalks to take over to the dump and I've just begun. I used to spend entire Saturdays working in the yard and not complain. Now a few hours work and I'm moaning and groaning.

While I was out there I was thinking about the motorcycle wave. Those of you that don't ride might not be aware of it, I wasn't until I started riding street bikes 10-11 years ago. When motorcycle riders pass on the road they give a little wave. I suppose it's a salute of sorts, bond among riders. Occasionally some arse doesn't wave back but usually both riders wave. Doesn't matter if it's a crotch rocket or Harley. Mine is typical, arm extended down at about a 45 degree angle, hand making a peace symbol which means two wheels down. Silly, I know but fully love it. In Hawaii it's the Shaaka sign.

I've heard there is something similar among Jeep drivers. Anyplace else out there?

Okay, back to the yard work.

In southern Indiana where I like to go fishing it's kind of like that. It's mostly gravel roads leading back to a lot of the lakes. Just about everyone waves when you pass them. Most people steer with only one hand, and the majority of waves are simply two fingers lifted from the wheel. It's just a common courtesy kind of thing to let everyone know that we're all friendly people. I always feel more at home down there. Once in a while I'll slip up and do it up here when passing someone and get some pretty strange looks.....

Taking a little break. Spent the last few hours in the yard. Damm yard. I now have a couple trailers worth of tree branches and bamboo stalks to take over to the dump and I've just begun. I used to spend entire Saturdays working in the yard and not complain. Now a few hours work and I'm moaning and groaning.

While I was out there I was thinking about the motorcycle wave. Those of you that don't ride might not be aware of it, I wasn't until I started riding street bikes 10-11 years ago. When motorcycle riders pass on the road they give a little wave. I suppose it's a salute of sorts, bond among riders. Occasionally some arse doesn't wave back but usually both riders wave. Doesn't matter if it's a crotch rocket or Harley. Mine is typical, arm extended down at about a 45 degree angle, hand making a peace symbol which means two wheels down. Silly, I know but fully love it. In Hawaii it's the Shaaka sign.

I've heard there is something similar among Jeep drivers. Anyplace else out there?

I drive a VW Vanagon, I've never passed another one without the driver waving, often a peace sign. I had a flat once, and two Vanagons stopped to help, which is very odd since they are not that common, I usually see one or two a week. It feels like some sort of club.

My power went out. But thanks to my trusty UPS, I'm wathing the rest of my netflix movie on the laptap :rockin:

Dan, you've got me totally hooked on the

image-2446455325.jpg

bottlebomber said:

If you like mayo, chili sauce and mayo mixed is great. The frites carts in Amsterdam call it Samurai sauce. One of my all time favorite junk food combos.

If you like mayo, chili sauce and mayo mixed is great. The frites carts in Amsterdam call it Samurai sauce. One of my all time favorite junk food combos.

That does sound good. Mayonnaise(?) I think you're talking about. If you like soy sauce and mayo, try combining the two to make a paste. Cover a piece of salmon steak with it. Gently wrap in foil and bake till done. I forget the temp or time. The mayo and soy mixture will become a nice not quite crust but more than a glaze. Inside juicy succulent salmon. Probably be very good with a little of the chili sauce mixed in for some spicy flavor.

TNGabe said:
That sounds good!
Dan said:
That does sound good. Mayonnaise(?) I think you're talking about. If you like soy sauce and mayo, try combining the two to make a paste. Cover a piece of salmon steak with it. Gently wrap in foil and bake till done. I forget the temp or time. The mayo and soy mixture will become a nice not quite crust but more than a glaze. Inside juicy succulent salmon. Probably be very good with a little of the chili sauce mixed in for some spicy flavor.

That sounds damn good too! Thanks guys :mug:

Beans, beans, good for the heart,
The more you eat, the more you fart,
The more you fart, the better you feel,
So eat beans at every meal.

That's the version I know, LOL.

I went to the local Whole Foods and picked up a nice uncured pepper rubbed salami and some sharp cheddar. My horseradish mustard now has a home! Good stuff.

I am thinking of attempting some homemade sauerkraut and pickles this fall. My wife and I both love good sauerkraut, and only recently sampled actual fermented pickles at a deli (Reins in Vernon CT) and could not get enough of them. I am also thinking of attempting a sour beer of some sort. My favorite special treat is a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - if I could make something even half as good as that stuff is I would be happy.

I actually wonder if I could start a batch of sauerkraut with the dregs of a Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René...imagine that sauerkraut over some good brats.

Just kegged up some beer finally. Been in primary for about 8 weeks. It was stout, so I wanted it to sit for a few. Have I mentioned how much I hate cleaning fermentors?

I've seen this song posted on HBT before, not sure if it was in this thread though. Great motivational music while you're doing shwag work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think I am going to brew tonight. With all that has been going on I pretty much have not brewed for a month or so :mad:

Whoot I get to smell that wonderful hop smell :ban:

Well I think I am going to brew tonight. With all that has been going on I pretty much have not brewed for a month or so :mad:

Whoot I get to smell that wonderful hop smell :ban:

I hate wrapping up this late. I can't imagine just getting started.

Don't forget. At midnight you have to light off some firecrackers and shout......HAPPY BREWDAY!! :ban:

Should I:
3. Pitch the bread yeast

Thanks!

6. Pitch the US-05, then pitch the wine yeast in a few days if your target ABV is above 12%. Finally, send Leadgolem the link to the banana wine.

Coincidentally, I brought home 10 lbs of bananas today. I was thinking of doing basically a sugar wash with added bananas, but banana wine sounds better.

I love that chili paste stuff. So good.

@BL, I think I have some idea how you feel. My mother is permanently disabled. She lives with me so I can take care of her when she needs it. She isn't as badly off as your husband, but she isn't exactly in great shape either.

I know how you can get so tired sometimes that it hurts. It hurts badly enough you'd rather cut your own heart out then keep going. I can tell you that the thing that keeps me going is knowing that my mother would be in the street, and then quickly dead, if I wasn't here to help her. I gave my word I wouldn't let that happen as long as there was anything I could do to prevent it. I keep my word.

It's kinda messed up, but something that helps is eating a bar of dark chocolate. I don't like dark chocolate, but I do feel better after I have some anyway.

6. Pitch the US-05, then pitch the wine yeast in a few days if your target ABV is above 12%. Finally, send Leadgolem the link to the banana wine.

Coincidentally, I brought home 10 lbs of bananas today. I was thinking of doing basically a sugar wash with added bananas, but banana wine sounds better.

I love that chili paste stuff. So good.

Yooper's Banana Wine: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/banana-wine-33636/index10.html

Be patient. At 2 years its incredible.

In southern Indiana where I like to go fishing it's kind of like that. It's mostly gravel roads leading back to a lot of the lakes. Just about everyone waves when you pass them. Most people steer with only one hand, and the majority of waves are simply two fingers lifted from the wheel. It's just a common courtesy kind of thing to let everyone know that we're all friendly people. I always feel more at home down there. Once in a while I'll slip up and do it up here when passing someone and get some pretty strange looks.....

I think anybody who has been recreational boating (at least among the lakes and rivers... can't speak for those out at sea!) knows the wave.

I went to the local Whole Foods and picked up a nice uncured pepper rubbed salami and some sharp cheddar. My horseradish mustard now has a home! Good stuff.

I am thinking of attempting some homemade sauerkraut and pickles this fall. My wife and I both love good sauerkraut, and only recently sampled actual fermented pickles at a deli (Reins in Vernon CT) and could not get enough of them. I am also thinking of attempting a sour beer of some sort. My favorite special treat is a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René - if I could make something even half as good as that stuff is I would be happy.

I actually wonder if I could start a batch of sauerkraut with the dregs of a Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René...imagine that sauerkraut over some good brats.

My favorite craft beer bar/restaurant makes a sour cream with the Cuvée René gueuze. Had it with some lobster quesadillas a few months ago. Good stuff.

The (very small) Cuvée René line is the only thing that is even remotely decent from Lindemans. Everything else they make barely even qualifies as lambic IMO... their "main" lambics (eg their framboise and kriek) taste far more like cough syrup than anything... certainly nothing even remotely like an artisanal beer worthy of the time and effort that typically go into a lambic.

Just posted this on how many 2013 i think i will post here just so you can see too. Sorry in advance for the writing errors.

27157.5 + 25 = 27182.5

5 fat boy Local H/B ver. just bottled.(@ home then moved to work. )
5 SNPA clone MWBS verson with dry hop standing by ( done at work today off the clock)
5 MWBS liberty Cream ale ( done at work today off the clock)
5 This buds for u from MWBS ( done at work today off the clock) Also plan to keg for the non HB people. Will be sure to get the red solo cups too.
5 Dumpster dog stout Local H/B Ver. ( done at work Today off the clock)

I did it all today @ work because I'm in the navy as some of you may know. One of the members at my command is retiring in early Aug. after 26 years of service.He is not your normal Sailor..., He has been in every ground conflict know and unknown in the pass 23 years. He is the Silent warrior that keeps the watch. He has paid his dues to keep this country free. So here is the why, He tried one of my H/B this past spring. His words to me where I wish I could have something like this @ my retirement. Fast forward to now I ran a request thu my command asking if I could supply all the drinks for the party. I also request it use the command BLDG. Because my home is too small to house such a undertaking. Not only did they approve it but they raised the funds (from donations from other staff) to cover the kits and supplies. Today i finally got everything in. So I started to brew Alone last night after midnight when i got off (I was unable to get the larger gear from the local brew club I belong too. one brew pot @ a time) I finally got her done after bad weather,a power outage, a defective propane tank (thanks blue rino) I got her done. Sorry all to write a large post. I just had to get that out.. there.
Sorry if my grammar is not right i have been awake to two days.

This was for you Nicky. :mug:

It is well known among bikers. Here is my version. :mug:

Many years ago, on a cold December night
A crusty old biker was riding his bike
Returning from a Christmas trip in Mexico
Saddle bags filled with toys for kids he didn’t know

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he’d been
On an Iron Horse steed partner, a part of him
Well about 40 miles north of the border, into the hotlands
A few gremlins of sorts decided to take the upper hand

Potholes, and old tires, a bible even,
Anything they thought might well impede him
A group of critters known as road gremlins
Did I mention that before, that this is no lie
On the roads the gremlins do truly fly

They like to bring bikers down every chance
And when they do, they do a moon dance.
Well, as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve
The gremlins ambushed him, causing him to swerve

He crashed to the asphalt and skidded before stopping
This old biker man was not giving to the gremlins flogging
Next to one of his saddlebags that had broken
Was a little bell, just a small token

Those road gremlins made their way towards him with glee
The biker man said to them Oh Say Can You See!
It was some sort of patriotic moment
Gremlins paid no attention cause they’d been tok’n

He rang the bell again and again
The gremlins evil smiles broadened
They knew they had the old biker that night
They were wrong because in their limited sight

They did not know, not far away
Sat two cool dudes talking about their day
About the day’s ride, the wind in their face
Freedom and liberty and loving grace

Those two bikers heard the bell ring
They didn’t dance and they didn’t sing
But got upon there trusty steeds and off they were flying
They found the old Lone Wolf on the road almost dying

The bikers killed off some of those Gremlin beasts
But everybody knows they were not all beat
So those that ride have a little ride bell along with them
To ward off those nasty a$$ bastard road gremlins.

No matter what shows on the TV
Bikers look at the road differently
We take care of each other and ride the roads together
Look out cagers on that bike is your brother.

Take a look cagers and you might see
I little bell swung lowly
It is small but surely helpful
This keeps Road Gremlins away
from us GoodFellow.

I aint kidding about that. :tank:

gb-angel_s.jpg

Yooper's Banana Wine: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/banana-wine-33636/index10.html

Be patient. At 2 years its incredible.
Interesting, that's actually not that far off from what I was planning.

Here's what I was thinking.

10 lbs of peeled and sliced bananas. (I'm planning on waiting for these to ripen until the peels have started to turn black, so I get the most out of them for flavor.)
1 tbs pectin enzyme.
Water to a total volume of 4 gallons.
Sugar to a gravity of 1.100, about 8 lbs.
2 tbs and 2 tsp yeast nutrient.
1 tbs and 1 tsp yeast energizer.
16 grams champagne yeast, just over 3 packages.

Add pealed and sliced bananas to a large pot, cover with water. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Add to fermenting bucket. Add cold water to 4 gallon mark. Add sugar in batches until gravity reads 1.100, making sure to fully dissolve each batch of sugar before adding more. If necessary, allow to cool until safe to pitch yeast. Mix in yeast nutrients, pitch yeast.

That's the spitball recipe. The addition of both raisins and tannin in Yooper's recipe makes me think that straight banana wine tends to be fairly one dimensional. Honestly, I don't really like tannic acid though. I'll have to think about a spice addition to the bananas during the cooking. I've got some real cinnamon on hand, but I'm not sure that's really a good flavor combination with banana.

The amount of dry yeast needed is a little much. I'll probably make a fairly substantial starter and only use one packet. Then let the cooked banana cool to pitching temps before adding the starter, then the water.

The nutrient additions probably seem high, they aren't. They are really about right for the intended OG-FG of this stuff. Yooper is using raisins, so doesn't need such a high proportion of nutrients.

The pectin enzyme addition also probably seems high, it is. I have tons of the stuff, and it won't hurt anything to add a bit more.

It hadn't occured to me that the PH of the liquid could be a problem, but the presence of the acid blend argues that it might be to alkaline. I don't keep acid blend on hand, but I do have some powdered citric acid. 4 tsps of that would probably be adequate.

I may end up having to pitch a second higher ABV tolerance strain if the batch stalls. I've got distillers yeast on hand, and some more wine yeasts on the way. Hmm, I may just start it with premier curvee instead.

I know I am not the only caretaker in this world. A good friend of mine, her husband passed away earlier this year. At the end he was bed ridden and she had been caring for him for nearly 5 years. I think it was almost a sense of relief for her. It made her so mad when he would try to get out of bed on his own and end up falling down or hurting himself in some other way. Always someone that's having a harder time than you are having. I remember you talked about caring for your mom, LG. And v-man has been through it too. Yep, one day at a time.

Dan, there is another group that waves to each other, classic car owners. I used to have a '63 Ford Falcon convertible. Finally sold it because upkeep was getting to be too much. It was even common for us to park next to each other in parking lots, hoping to catch up with the other driver, just look at each other's cars and talk about them. On the road, always a wave and maybe a honk.

Making kraut is insanely easy. There are several thread on the subject on HBT. No reason to waste good geuze on making kraut. Chop cabbage. Add salt, lots of salt. I think it's 5% by weight, but you should double check. The only tricky part is creating an anaerobic environment and it's not that tricky. I use two 2 gallon icing buckets from the grocery store bakery. (Don't tell anyone, but they are usually free for the asking and very handy. ;)) Cabbage and salt go in one bucket, press the cabbage down, plastic wrap, other bucket, and press the heck out of it. Throw some cans or bricks or whatever in the top bucket. When it's soured to your liking, water bath can. Just opened the last pint from this fall a couple days ago. This post has made me hungry and I might have some for breakfast. Now I know what to do with the 8lb cabbage we got for $1.50 at the farmers market.:D

Back