Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bag of hop pellets sitting at my desk and the owner of the company came by and freaked out. She thought hops contained alcohol and that I brought alcohol into the building.

I might have posted this before but if I have its been a while...

I worked with a coworker who talked about her dogs occasionally, so when I made spent grain dog treats I set some aside for her. When I brought them in I told her that I made the treats from some grain I used to make beer I brewed over the weekend.
She kind of nervously chuckled and asked "so how much alcohol is in these treats?"

Hops = alcohol
Grain = alcohol
Hops + Grain = alcoholic (apparently)

I worked with a coworker who talked about her dogs occasionally, so when I made spent grain dog treats I set some aside for her. When I brought them in I told her that I made the treats from some grain I used to make beer I brewed over the weekend.
She kind of nervously chuckled and asked "so how much alcohol is in these treats?"

Hops = alcohol
Grain = alcohol

So I guess she's into wine then. :confused:
Yeast + fermentable fruit does not = alcohol ;)

I had a Dr. appointment yesterday and in making small talk my Dr. told me that he was from Utica, NY, and that he would be visiting there this weekend. I happened to mention that one of my favorite beers comes from there. When he asked which beer, I told him Saranac Pale Ale, and he mentioned that he had been to the brewery several times and loved the beer that they pumped directly from the fermenter into the taps in the tap room. "Man, I don't know what they do to it but it's way better than the stuff that you can get in the store." :smack::smack: and he's a Dr.!

Like I always said, being smart at one thing doesn't make intelligence in another. Science from another area of study doesn't always fit with brewing. Kinda funny, though, when they get to the "punch line".

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03332/g7-kruen-obama-bee_3332809b.jpg

"Angela Merkel welcomed Barack Obama to the G7 summit with a traditional Bavarian breakfast on Sunday – complete with a half-litre of beer."

"But before he could get down to business, Mrs Merkel treated him to a full Bavarian breakfast of white sausages, pretzels and foaming lager."

Why is this funny? Imagine, calling a weissbier a lager!

he's apperantly drinking a "weissbier" instead of a lager and beer snob here isn't happy I guess?

I'm missing something here. I drank a lot of lager when I was in Bavaria. Most of the smaller places didn't even have any ales.

If they have a hefeweizen (which generally they all have), then they have an ale.

If they have a hefeweizen (which generally they all have), then they have an ale.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Many do have hefeweizen, many do not have any ales, particularly the smaller town breweries that have only one beer, usually a helles lager.

Before seeing the picture in that Obama post, I didn't find it funny that someone would conclude that Bavarian beer means lager, since the vast majority of the beers I found in Bavaria are indeed lagers. Having seen the picture, it's obviously not a lager. My bad.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Many do have hefeweizen, many do not have any ales, particularly the smaller town breweries that have only one beer, usually a helles lager.

Before seeing the picture in that Obama post, I didn't find it funny that someone would conclude that Bavarian beer means lager, since the vast majority of the beers I found in Bavaria are indeed lagers. Having seen the picture, it's obviously not a lager. My bad.

Not to be a contrarian, but I haven't seen any small breweries in Bavaria that didn't have at least 1 lager and 1 hefeweizen. I worked at tiny one and we had 5 beers (Helles, Export, Pils, Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen). I mean this brewery had a distribution area of maybe 50-75 km in any direction (Stolz Brauerei in Isny). Maybe the restaurant/bar only had the helles on tap?

I'd love to go to Bavaria (upper), since having watched some videos, I now get why my ancestors settled in Corley, WV. It does look a lot like their homeland. But to find where they came from, what they drank & the like would be awesome. I wonder what styles they have now survived from the time they left in 1728-1734?

I went to a new grocery store yesterday and just for fun looked at their beer selection. Their domestic section is about what you expected (BMC), but they had a selection of great imports too, like Sam Adams, Redd's Apple Ale, and Oskar Blues. :pipe:

Why not just call it craft or micro and be done with it? :confused:

Hops = alcohol
Grain = alcohol

I would have just responded "Yes" and walked away.

Went to a fairly popular, local bar last night for trivia...

Asked the waitress what kind of IPA's they had and she replied, "Coors, Coors light, Budweiser and Labatt Blue.." Get with the times.

Hops = alcohol
Grain = alcohol

I just went through the same thing.

1 women (who is an amateur wine maker) told me she did not understand why I would give dogs biscuits with hops, since hops are bad for dogs!

Also A neighbor who is in "recovery" was less pleased that I tried to feed his dog "biscuits with alcohol" in them.

I had to explain to the both, at separate times and equally as calmly as to not loose my "stuff", where grain falls in the process of beer making.

Contempt prior to investigation!!!!!!

My neighbor gave me a HB Bourbon Vanilla Porter the other day and told me it was awesome.

It was not.

I thought that was funny.

My neighbor gave me a HB Bourbon Vanilla Porter the other day and told me it was awesome.

It was not.

I thought that was funny.

How odd...I gave my neighbor a HB Bourbon Vanilla Porter the other day that I knew was disgusting (why give good beer away). I told the neighbor that it was awesome to get them excited to drink it though. I may have even added a little special ingredient for them too.

Dropped off a few beers to the local bottle shop owner. He ended up giving me a bottle of this "Bourbon Barrel" Ale he brought back from Kentucky. He said it just tasted odd to him. He just didn't like bourbon barrel ales, just stouts. :smack:

BBA Logo Oval 2.jpg

Dropped off a few beers to the local bottle shop owner. He ended up giving me a bottle of this "Bourbon Barrel" Ale he brought back from Kentucky. He said it just tasted odd to him. He just didn't like bourbon barrel ales, just stouts. :smack:

He's half right though. That is not a stout.

Haha... a bottle shop owner.

Pfft.

To be fair, that brewery does make a bourbon barrel stout...but that ain't it.

He's half right though. That is not a stout.

Haha... a bottle shop owner.

Pfft.

He is a home brewer as well! He also told me after trying my saison that he normally didnt like sours but mine was good.

To be fair, that brewery does make a bourbon barrel stout...but that ain't it.

He meant ales in general should not be barrel aged, only stouts.

that barrel-aged pale ale ain't bad. I still use the bottles from the 6'r. must...have...more...ber...brain,...fried from for,atting porcessor errors...

As a Canadian I take offence to this article. Calling Canadians bland? The nerve of some people :p
At least we have better beer here ;)

I do apologize for any offence that anyone may have experienced from the racial overtones of this article. I do in fact have many friends from the Great White North and meant no disrespect to anyone. :goat:

All opinions are owned by their respective owners and cannot be attributed to those that do not own said opinion.:D

How odd...I gave my neighbor a HB Bourbon Vanilla Porter the other day that I knew was disgusting (why give good beer away). I told the neighbor that it was awesome to get them excited to drink it though. I may have even added a little special ingredient for them too.

Tee-hee! :mug:

Back