Using Splenda???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonia

Reaction score
I guys I've just started a batch of cider which I am going to prime when bottling, I am intending to use Splenda to sweeten the cider.
I was just wondering if anyone has used Splenda to sweeten cider, and if the are any adverse affects to taste or anything?

You can always use part of you hydrosample to sweeten at different level. Just make sure you are doing it in measurable amounts.

I did a similar thing when I backsweetened with truvia.

Splenda in coffee, tea & mixed drinks is IMHO blatantly obvious & has a nasty, bitter aftertaste; as does every artificial sweetener I've ever tried. I refuse to use any of them.
Regards, GF.

The only no-calorie sweetener that I've tried that does not have that 'nasty, bitter aftertaste' is XYLITOL, which is sold in some stores under the brand name 'Ideal'. I use it as a non-fermentable sweetener for my cider when I bottle (along with sugar for bottle-carbing). Around here (South Carolina) it's much harder to find than Splenda, Equal, Stevia, etc, but I can definately taste all the others. Ideal/xylitol just tastes sweet. (Around here, it's available in Bi-Lo stores, can also be found on-line)

I just used Xylitol in my first batch. Pleasant sweetness with none of the nasty aftertaste.
I cant stand any of the artificial sweeteners out there.
If there is a health food store in your area you should be able to find it there. Xyla and Xylosweet are two of the name brands I found. It runs between 7 and 10 dollars a pound. You need a little more than sugar as it is only about 75% as sweet. Just add it to taste before you add your priming sugar.

Thank you all for your help, I will have a look for Xylitol, not sure whether it will be in the same name here in the UK but should be able to find it.

I've used up to 2 cups to backsweeten a cider and not a single person can tell I used splenda to do so.

It depends on if the people drinking are sensitive to the taste of Splenda, some people taste it some don't. I don't pick it up much but some of my friends do. I just leave my cider dry now.

Xylitol has been reported to give many people the runs. Google it and you will find numerous complaints about that side effect.

I find that Truvia is the only thing that I can back sweeten with and not get an after taste.

I agree with the general sentiment -- it is nice in theory, but in practice your cider just ends up tasting funky and "chemical-ish". I love sweet cider, but I actually prefer the "dry" stuff to the "Splenda" kind.

Being a Type 2 diabetic for over 10 years...Splenda is a gift from Odin to a sweet tooth like mine. Malitol or Xylitol will run thru you like a japanese bullet train. I have built up a high tollerance to them, having consumed sugar free items for so long. Splenda in cider...I have no idea. If you like it use it...shouldn't effect anything.

Just an update on this batch of cider,
I decided to use splenda, I left it for 50 days to mature abit before 1st tasting, and I have to say, I can't taste and adverse effects from the Splenda, to me, the cider now tastes like "Thatchers Heritage". Which is awesome.

Back