What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the glass. Picked up my first Oro De Calabaza last night and waiting for a good reason to crack it open. The end of the week tomorrow just may be a good enough reason...

Thanks! Got it from FuzzyKittens. I never seem to find JP that's not been shelf aged, but someone on here mentioned having a buttery bottle of that recently. Might want to give it some time if it's recently bottled.

Wow, that's actually fresh-ish. You find that in Canada? I always skip the non-lacto De Dolle beers I find here as they're always old. Which is awesome for Oerbier and Still Nacht, but Arabier, Bos Keun, and Dulle Teve not so much. As happy as I was to find an old Oerbier stash last weekend, I was almost as sad that there was a case or more between Dulle Teve and Bos Keun from 09 there, too.

I've become somewhat obsessed with Oerbier since my score. Working on a clone recipe. Any suggestions?

Yeah it's still got some great hop character. I picked up 4 in a French district in Canada. (Don't tell customs) I've got some oerbier that's been aging in my cellar for some time now. Maybe I'll crack one tonight.

It'll be wy3942, pedio/ lacto after transfer, oak cubes or vanilla bean after the sugar ferments.

Maybe something like

65% Munich
15% Amber
10% Torrified Barley
10% Sugar clear. (Secondary)

Hops should be simple and bittering only.

Just my guess.

Yeah it's still got some great hop character. I picked up 4 in a French district in Canada. (Don't tell customs) I've got some oerbier that's been aging in my cellar for some time now. Maybe I'll crack one tonight.

It'll be wy3942, pedio/ lacto after transfer, oak cubes or vanilla bean after the sugar ferments.

Maybe something like

65% Munich
15% Amber
10% Torrified Barley

Just my guess.

It's 'no less than 6 malts' according to the web page and Poperigne Goldings. From what I've gathered over on the BBB, Kris might ferment a portion only with lacto and then blend at bottling. I'm not so sure about that as young Oerbier has no lactic character and it only become apparent with age. Doubt that it's pedio as the beer has no brett character and no diacetyl. WY3942 is one of my favs, though I'm out at the moment and it's not one my LHBS stocks unless I ask for it. Why it's called Belgian Wheat is beyond me. Only the Reserva is barrel aged, but I find that as the regular version ages, some of the fusely stuff in the young beer almost magically becomes barrel like oak and vanilla.

Thanks! Got it from FuzzyKittens. I never seem to find JP that's not been shelf aged, but someone on here mentioned having a buttery bottle of that recently. Might want to give it some time if it's recently bottled.

It has been sitting a few months, about how long do you suggest aging?

Maybe something like

65% Munich
15% Amber
10% Torrified Barley

Just my guess.

I did the same bringing a **** load of St. Ambroise (McAuslan) back from Quebec last winter. :D Shhh.

I see the endeavour on there. What rating does it get?

Look at the pic - 93. I was dissatisfied. I love this ****ing beer like it's crack.

It's 'no less than 6 malts' according to the web page and Poperigne Goldings. From what I've gathered over on the BBB, Kris might ferment a portion only with lacto and then blend at bottling. I'm not so sure about that as young Oerbier has no lactic character and it only become apparent with age. Doubt that it's pedio as the beer has no brett character and no diacetyl. WY3942 is one of my favs, though I'm out at the moment and it's not one my LHBS stocks unless I ask for it. Why it's called Belgian Wheat is beyond me. Only the Reserva is barrel aged, but I find that as the regular version ages, some of the fusely stuff in the young beer almost magically becomes barrel like oak and vanilla.

That's what I get for not researching first. I have only had it with age on it and it's always had the vanilla/oak character.

If it had 6 malts I'm guessing that pils makes up about 25% of the base malt bill. And maybe a touch of something darker to make up the color loss?

As far as bugs go. Pedio in secondary won't give a ton of brett character. But if he's blending a lacto base all bets are off with how much he's using and how much character it would impart.

I'd consider bugfarm as an option, in secondary, with a touch of age you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I'll stop by the bottle shop here tonight, there was a June'13 batch on the shelf yesterday, I'd like to see the difference and try to pin point the bugs.

It has been sitting a few months, about how long do you suggest aging?

I've got no clue. It was Bensiff who posted the buttery comment. If you search 'Calabaza' with the thread search tool it's a few posts down. He didn't mentiont the date on his, but I'm sure you could PM to find out.

That's what I get for not researching first. I have only had it with age on it and it's always had the vanilla/oak character.

If it had 6 malts I'm guessing that pils makes up about 25% of the base malt bill. And maybe a touch of something darker to make up the color loss?

As far as bugs go. Pedio in secondary won't give a ton of brett character. But if he's blending a lacto base all bets are off with how much he's using and how much character it would impart.

I'd consider bugfarm as an option, in secondary, with a touch of age you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I'll stop by the bottle shop here tonight, there was a June'13 batch on the shelf yesterday, I'd like to see the difference and try to pin point the bugs.

Pedio won't give any brett character, just a bunch of diacetyl without brett to clean up it's buttery mess. After the switch from Rodenbach yeast, I'm told the early 2000s De Dolle have much less acidity. I think it was 05 when he got some old Stille Nacht kegs returned from somewhere in Scandanavia and cultured lacto from those. Peter Bouckaert took a trip back to Belgium and helped Kris setup what I've only seen describe as a 'lactic propagator'. Speaking of which, I'm getting some oerbier dregs from when they used Rodenbach yeast still. Not sure when the beer was opened or how long they've been sitting in the guy who is sending them's fridge, but do you think you'd be able to culture anything from them?

I've got a couple bugfarm batches in the fermenter, but they're staying on the lees for the duration. I've got some ECY02 slurry sitting around. I think that's way too funky. There is an ECY23 'Oud Bruin' that's just sacc and lacto that might be ideal.

There's a bar in Ashveile I really dislike, but they're the only game in town. It's there anniversary fest this week and they tapped Dulle Teve, Arabier, & Stille Nacht today. I'm really hoping they're still on Saturday, but knowing those a$$hats, the beers will still be listed online and then not actually on tap when I go in.:mad:

I've got no clue. It was Bensiff who posted the buttery comment. If you search 'Calabaza' with the thread search tool it's a few posts down. He didn't mentiont the date on his, but I'm sure you could PM to find out.

Pedio won't give any brett character, just a bunch of diacetyl without brett to clean up it's buttery mess. After the switch from Rodenbach yeast, I'm told the early 2000s De Dolle have much less acidity. I think it was 05 when he got some old Stille Nacht kegs returned from somewhere in Scandanavia and cultured lacto from those. Peter Bouckaert took a trip back to Belgium and helped Kris setup what I've only seen describe as a 'lactic propagator'.

I've got a couple bugfarm batches in the fermenter, but they're staying on the lees for the duration. I've got some ECY02 slurry sitting around. I think that's way too funky. There is an ECY23 'Oud Bruin' that's just sacc and lacto that might be ideal.

There's a bar in Ashveile I really dislike, but they're the only game in town. It's there anniversary fest this week and they tapped Dulle Teve, Arabier, & Stille Nacht today. I'm really hoping they're still on Saturday, but knowing those a$$hats, the beers will still be listed online and then not actually on tap when I go in.:mad:

Misleading post sorry. You are right, pedio alone won't impart brett character. I was talking about roeselare but I now realize I edited that bit out. I've seen people suggest it.

Ecy23 in 2nd? Could possibly work but the primary sacc strain is certainly 3942.

I could put a sample through the lab see what I can come up with.

But I think you'd be close with 3942 primary, then a lacto pitch of some sort along with the candi sugar.

I did the same bringing a **** load of St. Ambroise (McAuslan) back from Quebec last winter. :D Shhh.

Look at the pic - 93. I was dissatisfied. I love this ****ing beer like it's crack.

No the beer next to it. The picture does not show the rating on the saint arnolds. One day ill try ghandi bot

Smuttynose farmhouse ale, super spicy but awesome balance

image-450168722.jpg

Busted out of work early today. Now I'm out on the back patio puffing on a CAO Gold and drankin some of my cider while I finish up some pretty pictures for the furnace HMI. Love it when the boss is out of town!

2013-09-05 16.19.12.jpg

DisturbdChemist said:
No the beer next to it. The picture does not show the rating on the saint arnolds. One day ill try ghandi bot

93, man. Here go the details.

image-2491580615.jpg

tyzippers said:
Busted out of work early today. Now I'm out on the back patio puffing on a CAO Gold and drankin some of my cider while I finish up some pretty pictures for the furnace HMI. Love it when the boss is out of town!

You're so lucky you can work from home.

Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Pretty damn good IMO, very tasty. Someone must have imported a job lot of Stone into the UK recently cos I've seen it in a few places.

ForumRunner_20130905_220646.jpg

I'm absolutely cream crackered, it's been a long day, 14 hours at work - 8am-10pm. Got a fire and explosion analysis for an offshore drill rig to get out tomorrow.

This is tasty thanks mark one more time. You da man!

That reminds me, have you guys checked out Vivant's FB page? Talk about your $hitstorms.

Double fisting here. Poured a saison and then decided I wanted a clamdigger, too. Mostly for the olives, pickeld okra, pickled pepper, and clamato. I'm trying to cut way back on my snacking, but needed a salt fix.

Latest posts

Back