My cider smells, can I move it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im doing my first batch of cider and Im getting the infamous rhino farts with it.
Here is my situation. I just made it three days ago and put it in my home office/computer room to ferment. I can keep my room at a constant 68 degress which while ideal for fermentation, the whole room now smells of the rhino farts.
The question is, can I move it to my garage? Its fairy cool in my garage, hovering around 50 degrees, but with potential for temperature fluctuations overnight. I really have nowhere else to put it.

You really want to try to keep your brew in an environment with a stable temperature. Try to bear with the rhino farts until signs of active fermentation has stopped (for the most part), then transfer to your garage.

Someone else with more knowledge about the topic might chime in though. I'm relatively unskilled at ciders. I've only done EdWort's Apfelwein and a hard cider to date (the cider is currently fermenting and doesn't look pretty.).

Best of luck.

Before I try my next batch of something similar I plan on getting an activated charcoal filter to put over the airlock. Supposedly that takes care of the "emissions".

Activated charcoal or even a surplus gas mask canister taped to the two piece vapor lock vs the bubble lock.

I've heard the same. Our farts last less than a week. In the mean time, we put a bunch of smelly stuff (dryer sheets changed daily, oust, candles, etc.) in the room to keep the smell down.

I know the UK cider makers allow their stuff to ferment outside, so I see no reason why you can't move it to the garage right now. If you do, it will slow down the ferment, but that's not a bad thing. Or, as the others have said, you might already be though the worst of it.

It's only my opinion, but I would never put anything fermenting in a garage unless it was very very clean. To me it's not worth the risk, considering what is normally kept in a garage.

It's only my opinion, but I would never put anything fermenting in a garage unless it was very very clean. To me it's not worth the risk, considering what is normally kept in a garage.

Actually, for the same reason, I was questioning using dryer sheets, candles, etc. Cider could pick up the perfume.

My garage doesn't actually store cars, and we have a shed that the lawnmover and all that stuff is in. We moved in August, so it is still kind of the storage space from that.

Actually, for the same reason, I was questioning using dryer sheets, candles, etc. Cider could pick up the perfume.

My garage doesn't actually store cars, and we have a shed that the lawnmover and all that stuff is in. We moved in August, so it is still kind of the storage space from that.

With the airlock, I was under the impression that very little smell could get in, but yeah, you're right.

My first cider smelled so bad my wife and kids that the dog had and accident in my office and spent 3 days looking for it :D

I like the idea of the charcoal filter.....might have to try that next time.

The sulfur smell is the yeasts way of letting you know it is stressed. Usually you can stop it by lowering the temp. Most ale and wheat yeasts do not give off sulfur if you keep the ferment cool. If you can get the cider to a cooler place, you are much better off to move it as long as the new place is clean and temps are stable.

Back