Fall Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
So I did a pumpkin ale, and its going to condition for a few more weeks to let the ginger settle out. I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are about what beers you like for the fall. I'm looking to do another one soon, maybe tomorrow.

I like a stout or porter in fall and usually don't drink them in the summer for some reason! Oktoberfest is a year round treat!

Dunkelweizen and American Brown are two of my fall favorites. Just made my first Roggenbier and depending on my thoughts on the style it could also become an addition to that list.

Pumpkin ales, amber lagers and some good hard cider are my go to fall beers. I did a belgian dubble batch not too long ago that I woudn't mind if only it lasted. Come winter though all I want are porters and stouts

I'm curious as to why people switch styles with the seasons. I have never been exposed to stouts/porters (except guinness) and don't like the idea of brewing up a 5 gallon batch of something I don't like. My husband is a big fan of the wits and centennial blonde (and doesn't want to drink anything else). Any suggestions of a commercial/craft stout/porter for an introduction?

I don't know if it's subconscious or coincidental but I always seem to brew an amber ale with a full slightly sweet body and dry finish that has been lightly dry hopped around fall. Something drinkable, and fresh.

Although if you are new to the scene, everyone likes to take on an oktoberfest when they first start. If you want to get into the more traditional oktoberfest beers you should check out Vienna and Marzen lagers and obviously the book from classic styles. Apparently "oktoberfest" beer is a fusion of a couple beers that were served during fall festivals. It eventually became more popular.

I'm curious as to why people switch styles with the seasons. I have never been exposed to stouts/porters (except guinness) and don't like the idea of brewing up a 5 gallon batch of something I don't like. My husband is a big fan of the wits and centennial blonde (and doesn't want to drink anything else). Any suggestions of a commercial/craft stout/porter for an introduction?
Can you get a hold of Rogue's Mocha Porter or Shakespeare Stout?

I just made a pumpkin beer as well and am making a Porter tomorrow, so there you go.

For commercial porters go Founders or Great Lakes. Those are very big though. For a milder intro try Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.

Milk Stout by Lancaster Brewing Company is pretty good and you can probably get it since you're in the same state. Guinness is very dry and slightly sour, which might be what turns you off about it.

Sierra Nevada would be good or Deuches (sp)

Browns, pumpkins ,octoberfests,porters, dunkleweisens,whichever you preferr. I think Sierra Nevada's Life and Limb is my favorite for fall so far,although i think aging one is a necessity until next year. I wasnt as enthused about their tumbler this year compared to last year,although through the year my palate has had a overhaul from all the craft beer ive been trying.I dont even view a Two hearted the same anymore as then.

my pumpkin ale is in the fermenter and also up this fall is a cranberry witbier and a winter warmer.

I might squeeze in something else too, not sure what yet though

cheezydemon3 said:
An amber with a little charred cinnamon is a good fall/winter beer.

Charred cinnamon? I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate?

Lately I cannot get enough of Old Rasputin. That's a big step from Guinness though. Founders Imperial stout and Breakfast stout are at the top of my list. I also enjoy Souther Tiers blackwater series (Mokah, java, choklat, creme brulee) but those are all pretty sweet examples. I like a big, complex RIS and old rasputin is probably one of the best examples of that.

I don't really brew them because it would be 6-8 months of conditioning and I tend to move a lot.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Founder's Porter
Southern Tier's - Oat, Creme Brulee, or Choklat (all three are Imperial)
Like mentioned before, Sierra Nevada Stout is a good one. My father-in-law who "hates dark beer" as he would say, once drank through about 6 of the SN Stout before I poured one and showed him it was "a dark beer".

Giant Eagle has 6'ers of Breckenridge Brewery's new Autumn seasonal. It's not a stout, more like a porter, but not really and very, very good. It's not heavy, a bit sweet and malty. Someone who only drinks wheats would probably really like it.

Left Hand's Milk Stout is probably my favorite, at this point. Lactose adds a great mouthfeel and sweetens it a bit, but its still got good stouty flavor

Another Oktoberfest/marzen fan here. Along with some pumpkin beers and a few porters. Throw in a BIPA for good measure.

Charred cinnamon? I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate?

I take a stick of cinnamon (or what the grocery calls cinnamon) and hold it over my turkey fryer to sterilize, and to caramalize. you don't want black, but close is OK.

Drop it in secondary (preferably still hot) and replace airlock.

The flavor seems to come on strong and quickly, but fades a bit after bottling or kegging for a few weeks, so let it get a little strong if you taste test.

Back