Made a starter, then decided I don't like the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently loaded up with a load of yeast and hops. I have about 6 different types of each to choose from. However, I also have 2 vials of white labs that is more than 3 months out of date. One is a Super High Gravity Ale Yeast. The other is the European Ale Yeast.

So I made a starter out of the European Ale Yeast using some old LME that I don't want in my beer and after 2 days it started bubbling the airlock and now after 3 days, it's going pretty well at about a bubble every two seconds (it's only a 1L starter). However, I started thinking about it and, well, I made a stout with this yeast and I didn't really like it all that much.

I was going to use it for my Alt Bier, but now I don't know. Does anybody else use this yeast strain? In my limited experience, it's definitely a yeast that benefits from at least a month of conditioning. Can anyone here say positively that it's worth brewing with? Personally, I think it has a spicy kind of burnt yeasty taste, sort of like a Belgian, that I don't care for. Then again, maybe it was just the stout that I made. Think it'll be better for an Alt with a few months of cold conditioning? I don't know. I don't have much experience with that yeast, just the stout. I guess I'm just looking for anyone else who's used the yeast and liked the finished product...

I pretty sure its the strain Jamil Z prefers to use in conjunction with Lactobacillus to create a Berliner Weisse.

landhoney said:
I pretty sure its the strain Jamil Z prefers to use in conjunction with Lactobacillus to create a Berliner Weisse.

Yes, that's what he said. But in an odd twist to the OP's predicament, he recommends that you NOT make a starter for a Berliner Weisse because it' s such a low gravity beer.

landhoney said:

Yes, in the book he recommends the European Ale yeast, or US-05. I'm probably going to just use the latter, as I don't see the yeast, per se, being a terribly key ingredient (it's all about the lacto).

For an alt, both White Labs and Wyeast have a specialized Alt yeast, or Jamil recommends the German Ale yeast (which is distinct from the European Ale yeast).

olllllo said:
Yes, that's what he said. But in an odd twist to the OP's predicament, he recommends that you NOT make a starter for a Berliner Weisse because it' s such a low gravity beer.

Decant it and don't pitch all the slurry. I was just proposing a possible use for the yeast that seems to be proven.

Latest posts

Back