Boosting my gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdessert

Reaction score
What are some things I can use to boost the OG of my extract kit with out altering the flavor?

Using a half pound or more of Cara-pils/Dextrine as specialty grains can help. It will add more body to your beer, which is sometimes undesirable if your looking for a lighter beer.

Looking for body or alcohol?

If you are talking alcohol then add a pound of sugar, honey or malt extract to your recipe.

If you are looking for body then go with the dextrine or cara-pils

Alcohol was what I was looking for. Any particular sugars I should be using? I'm brewing a chocolate milk stout extract kit from NB.

if you add sugar it will completely ferment out and can leave the beer dryer - not necessarily a bad thing dep on style but may not be the best option for a stout

you can also just add more LME/DME

Alcohol was what I was looking for. Any particular sugars I should be using? I'm brewing a chocolate milk stout extract kit from NB.

Brown sugar will work well with that. It will give you more ABV. The beer will be dryer but brown sugar will add some flavors that table sugar won't. Turbinado (Sugar in the raw) is 'sometimes' used in stouts and poters. You might try that.

Thanks once again for the feedback I think I'm going to go with the turbinado, since in the beer description it mentions that a part of the flavor profile. So one pound added when?

you can add to the boil or if its a really big beer you can add it to the primary in a water solution after the most active fermentation starts to slow down

So I added 1 lb of turbinado to the boil. Hopefully it won't dry it out to much, the kit did come with one pound of lactose so maybe that will balance it out a bit. The og was supposed to be 1.051, the wort is cooling now so I'll let you know what if any change this made.

Back