What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drank copious amounts of my gruit-inspired herbal stout...normally wouldn't post something like that, but was valiantly trying to kick this keg before tomorrow when we have family over and wanted to get something a bit more palatable on tap other than a dark, thick, high abv stout brewed with a multitude of herbs. So, finally - mission accomplished! I also want to properly dig into my bock tomorrow...

What herbs did you use, if I may ask?

Chilled a 6 pack of HB Belgian Tripel, for drinking with Xmas dinner. Patiently left at 65F for the last 6 months.
20181225_115541.jpeg

What herbs did you use, if I may ask?
No problem: mugwort, chicory, licorice root, lemon grass, orange peel, chamomile, sarsparilla root, vanilla and molasses. Evolved for a recipe I found online many years ago when I was fixated on gruits.

Christmas eve I cleaned the keg and tap line that just kicked, put the cream ale on, and then racked my altbier to a keg to finish lagering. Gravity sample ok but not great IMO, hopefully lagering helps round it out.

Made a tincture of vodka (actually, 2) with additives for my smoked porter. About 10 peppers (cayenne and habanero) of about 4 Oz's, then another with French oak chips (2ozs). This will be added in 7 days and sit in the primary another 7 days.

Smoked, oaked and peppered... Busy!

Also made a starter of wlp001 for my Christmas beer, an American Barleywine. It will be brewed tomorrow afternoon.

Happy holidays!
Sweet Jesus..sounds like you could use that as emergency thaw out juice in the Arctic!!

I've had pours that were more poops than beer...only three dumpers this year out of 15+ batches though!

The couple of almost-dumpers I had, I added a slice of lemon to to kill some of the off flavors.

As my sister said when I brewed the Centennial Blonde (oxidized), “Congratulations! You made Corona!”

Battled the flu and dug up the corona mill from the corner of the garage, filled the hopper and milled about 4-4.2kg of Viking pale ale (sry neebr...) for a brew brew session the coming weekend. Now I gotta gather up the strength to do the dishes, some been sitting for longer than I care to admit...

Actually, yesterday I got a Keg King Mark II high temp magnetic drive brew pump for Xmas, and a Stella Artois 750ml gift bottle with glasses (thanks babe!) and today used part of my Amazon gift card to order a new 304 SS brew kettle Hop Spider, and (2) 1/2x1/2 npt hose Barb's for pump connectors, got a 36 oz stainless Michigan Wolverines beer mug. Checked temp on my Orange spice Amber ale in Cool Brewing bag. A good 2 days! Thanks babe!!!

Actually, yesterday I got a Keg King Mark II high temp magnetic drive brew pump for Xmas, and a Stella Artois 750ml gift bottle with glasses (thanks babe!) and today used part of my Amazon gift card to order a new 304 SS brew kettle Hop Spider, and (2) 1/2x1/2 npt hose Barb's for pump connectors, got a 36 oz stainless Michigan Wolverines beer mug. Checked temp on my Orange spice Amber ale in Cool Brewing bag. A good 2 days! Thanks babe!!!

Go Blue

Made a starter for my brew day this weekend. At the last minute I realized that my light DME had hardened into a brick, so I used the only other bag I had on hand - Sparkling Amber. We'll see how that turns out.

Yesterday moved the lager that's been d-resting (and removing acetaldehyde) from the warm house to the cold fridge to start crashing; dry hopped it with Mosaic & Amarillo on Monday so should be ready to keg later today. Good thing too because all I've got right now on tap is my Holiday ale, and truth be told I'm getting a wee bit tired of it. Also have been playing around with my new Bayite temperature controller, getting ready to set it up.

i posted on HBT about "Plain Form" hydrometers...for all the people that just care about Specific Gravity, only to be shown plato, or potential alcohol!

(and yes...that was always a big annoyance to me!)

edit: i also put my malt in the oven to kiln at 150f....Brew day tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back