Burned through my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So I think my kettle has met it demise.
As I was brewing the last thursday I noticed a small puddle on the ground before I started heating my mash water. Then I kept smelling burnt wort. Didnt think anything of the smell because I had a small boilover.
So I just tested it and yep, small burn through crack on the bottom of my kettle.:mad::mad: Its about 1/2" long and just kinda seeps out liquid. Kinda pissed as I so do not have money for a ketttle. I could keep brewing with it but I risk have a complete failure and losing an entire batch.
Guess this is my chance to start saving for that 10 gallon stainless that I wanted.

You can try patching the crack with JB Weld. It is food safe and works at high heat.

Replace it, or make a keggle, when you have the funds.

Just curious, what kind of kettle did you have?

I'd stupidly bought a paper-thin stainless steel kettle that is no longer safe for brewing.

JB Weld over an open flame??? The stuff can't possibly be that good can it?

JB Weld will withstand constant temp up to 300 C (572 F). This is written on the packaging. How hot does the flame get under the pot??

Since there are alot of keggle people here, out of curiosity, why would you recommend a keggle over a good brew kettle such as More Beer's "B" kettles?

Since there are alot of keggle people here, out of curiosity, why would you recommend a keggle over a good brew kettle such as More Beer's "B" kettles?

I think its mostly price making a keggle is a whole lot cheaper than most good 15 gallon brew pots. My keggles with valves and dip tubes cost me under $60 a piece and most good ss 15 gallon pots are over $200

Keggle works for me. Ya can't hurt it, easy to clean, big enough for an 11+ gallon batch..... Nice handles.....

I like mine and the price was right when I bought it around 1992.

David :)

<~~~Its in the pic on the left with First Wort Hops.

1/2 keg

Look on craigslist. I found the one above for $50. I've bought a few off cl ranging in price from 0-$50. Then you just gotta cut the top off and you can add the other toys later.

I have never been asked for a receipt to get my deposit back, but either way, that's not a legally obtained keg he is selling.

In NY no receipt no return they will turn you away with the keg.Deposit is now 75$. They now attach a receipt to every keg in a water proof pouch with all of your info Name address and you drivers license # . If they turned him away then its his.

JB Weld will withstand constant temp up to 300 C (572 F). This is written on the packaging. How hot does the flame get under the pot??

Epoxies break down (carbonize is the technical term) in the presence of oxygen at temperatures exceeding 450°F (this is what I do for a living so I would know). The flame will be at least 600°C and could easily by as hot as 1300°C.

Flame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am thinking that keggle is the way to go now. My previous pot was only 6 gallons and that makes it hard to deal with my boil off of 1.2 gallons/hour. My old pot was a very thick stainless.
Keggle time is here.

What supprised me is that I have used thinner pots in restaurants on an every day, all day basis and have never burned through one of those so I was supprised to go through this one.

Back