Wooden Single Tier... any fire safety concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm about to embark on building a single tier, and I think with all the scrap wood I have kicking around the shop, I'm going to use that instead of welding a steel stand (welding poorly I might add).

I know there are some die-hard wooden single tier brewers around, so is there anything I should be thinking about before I start my build? I'll probably make some steel supports for the keggles, but aside from that it will be all wood.

Something that might help is painting the burner facing surfaces with a white or silver metalic header paint so that the wood doesn't take on all the heat. I've seen some beautiful dark stained stands around here but dark absorbs heat.

The other thing is using burners that are not too wild. I wouldn't want to try my 23-tip burners within 3' of any wood.

You can also buy a roll of aluminum flashing in the roofing section of lowes to create heat shields.

When I built my stand, I did the same thing that ScubaSteve did: line the inside of the stand with durock, and paint the durock with high-temp bbq paint.

I use 60k btu hurricane burners, and although the durock gets hot, there is no chance that the would will burn.

Rhino

Both above are good suggestions. One other thing I've seen is bolting a couple pieces of angle iron to the top of the brew stand to create your mounting surface. It spreads out the heat a little. If you're using a burner with a mounting surface this is a moot point.

Back