Cheyco's CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone who has constructed this CFC can help here.

I just bought all of the materials to make this for a friend. I made one a year ago and used copper fittings and Copper Bond (similar to JB Weld I guess), however I'm getting leaks in the copper reducers. So my friend wanted one because he likes mine so much, but I told him this was a better route with the compression fittings.

Anyway, I went to start drilling through the stop in the compression fittings with a 3/8" bit and it's way harder than I though it would be. With the copper reducer, it took about 15 seconds. With this brass compression fitting, I've had the drill on it for almost 5 minutes (with rests every 30 seconds or so) and it's not even a quarter of the way through the stop.

So what type of drill and bit did y'all use? I'm assuming a drill press is needed, as my 19v cordless hasn't really done much. And not only that, but what it has done is really messy and not a clean hole (which isn't going to bode well to stop leaks).

Any advice?

That's weird, I don't recall it being that difficult. In fact I don't remember doing it at all, but I must have. Maybe try a different bit?

I have a small file that would fit inside. I just ran it up and down the inside to file down the stop. I'm wondering if you're drilling the right thing.

Back