Crash cooled my Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaa2m

Reaction score
I have the evening free of the wife tonight and wanted to see if there is anything special about bottling a crash cooled beer. It primaried for 2 weeks, hit its FG, and for clarification, I crash cooled it at 35 degrees for a week. Standard procedure?

Thanks!!!

jaa2m said:
I have the evening free of the wife tonight and wanted to see if there is anything special about bottling a crash cooled beer. It primaried for 2 weeks, hit its FG, and for clarification, I crash cooled it at 35 degrees for a week. Standard procedure?

Thanks!!!

The last batch I crash cooled and bottled, I didn't do anything special. I wasn't happy with the amount of carbonation I got, so you might want to dip the end of the syphon down into the yeast cake a little bit, just to get some extra yeast into the bottling bucket.

sometimes i really impress myself.

this is one of the best beers i have made. i think i have made such hoppy, heavy, big beers lately, it is so refreshing to have something that is light.

hopefully i won't have any carb issues. thanks for the advice/thoughts...

jaa2m said:

Thanks!!!

Fwiw, Kolsch style ales are typically lagered per style so they are generally "crash cooled +." ;)

Back