Racking from Secondary to Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a question regarding best practice when racking from my secondary (was dry-hopping in a hop bag) to my bottling bucket.

Is it appropriate for me to tie a sanitized clean hop bag around the bottom of my auto-siphon cane to prevent any floaties from making it into the bottling bucket? I've got only a little sediment that made its way from the primary, I just want to prevent the larger yeast clumps from getting in.

I just want to make sure that the normal yeast for bottle carbonation isn't going to get blocked by the bag.

Thoughts? better ideas? I'd love to hear any suggestions, as I'm bottling my first batch in a few hours!

The strainer bag won't filter out the millions of microscopic yeast cells in each ounce of apparently clear beer. It will get the large floaties though. So, bottle away, no worries!

Thanks, I was fairly sure that was the case.

Any suggestions for keeping the bag tight on the cane? Should I just sanitize about 5 rubber bands and try to limit the bag size this way?

Thanks, I was fairly sure that was the case.

Any suggestions for keeping the bag tight on the cane? Should I just sanitize about 5 rubber bands and try to limit the bag size this way?

I have used rubber bands in the past. If I do this again though I have a box of rubber washers that I bought when building my mash tun that I plan to use instead.

Thanks for the info, I just finished the job. Ended up using new rubber washers from a set of replacement hose washers. Worked very well, seemed to catch anything loose.

I think I'll use this every time now.

Back