Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flywallyfly

Reaction score
Is there a time frame after bottling where there is no longer a chance of having bottle bombs? I brewed a British ale and let it sit in primary for 3 1/2 weeks and had a constant FG before bottling. I used the priming sugar that came in the AHS kit i bought so that shouldnt be a problem (I mixed it well in the bottling bucket before botlling). Some of the threads on exploding bottles put that seed of worry in my brain so I thought you experts could shed some light on it. Thanks !

If you followed a kit, your fine with the premeasured priming sugar. Bottle bombs happen when people bottle before fermentation is complete. The co2 produced by the fermentation over pressurizes the bottle. I your FG remained consistent, your good. What was the SG and FG?

Unless you've got an infection in the bottle due to poor sanitation, or bottled before fermentation was finished, or used too much priming sugar, you won't get a bottle bomb.

I've NEVER had one, and I think that is true of most of us.

Back