Chocolate Marshmallow Coconut Porter advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthebackwoods

Reaction score
I've been thinking about brewing an all grain Chocolate Marshmallow Coconut porter and have been thinking about what / when to add for the specialty ingredients. I was thinking about using some chocolate malt and adding cocoa nibs to the secondary for the chocolate flavor. I was thinking of adding toasted (in oven) coconut shreds to the secondary. I'm torn on the marshmallow. My first thought was maybe Fluff in the boil. Anyone have any experience with brewing with mashmallow? Also, any thoughts on where / when / how to add any of these specialty ingredients to get the flavor mix I'm looking for?

I've seen it mentioned that marshmallow doesn't contribute much to the flavor of the finished beer and that vanilla can help enhance it.

Marshmallows are nothing more than gelatin, sugar and vanilla. So add some lactose and vanilla for the flavor. That's about as good as you'll get.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go that route. Although the dry fluffing suggestion was mighty tempting. :D

I used fluff in my s'more clone & it was a waste. Capella sells marshmallow extract which is a good alternative although nothing beats vanilla beans. Lots & lots of vanilla beans. The cocoa nibs risk adding a nutty aroma & flavor which might not go well for ur idea. I'd drop the coconut but thats just my opinion.

Well you could toast the marshmallows, preferably over a flame. Then you'll get some burnt sugar taste in there.

I'm working on a recipe for this as well. I actually found a graham cracker extract as well as a toasted marshmallow extract. I ws planning on adding cocoa nibs in secondary and adding the extracts just before kegging until I got the flavor I wanted.

Back