In new orleans for a week - any decent beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I'm visiting family here for the week. It has been a long time since I've lived here; crescent city brewhouse was new when I moved. Any recommendations?

Magnoila Brewer in Kiln Mississippi has a Pecan Beer. Don't know it is distributed in Louisiana.

I would try to get up to Abita for the tour. It is a nice drive if you take the causeway and the Abita visitor's center at the brewery is real nice. Get their before the tour, they just give you a glass and point you in the direction of the taps. The brewpub is right down the road. It is decent food and has limited release beers on. Good place to go if you 'sampled' a bit too much on the tour.

My favorite places in the city (in order):
1. The Avenue Pub. Not a huge selection, but there will be choices of micro. Great atmosphere, get some mini-tacos.
2. The Bulldog. I really like the patio at the mid-city location. Go on Wednesday, you get to keep the glass. You can get some select Abita beers here.
3. Ms. Mae's . Beer is Abita and BMC, but the crowd/atmosphere is unbeatable. Get a $1 cocktail.
4. Cooter Brown's. Good place to stop if you are in the area.
5. Crescent City Brewhouse. Meh. Get a beer to go if you are planning on walking around downtown.
6. Gordon Biersch. If it is the only place you can convince family to go or something.

Went to phils grill and had a Nola blonde. I was impressed with it. I am going to try and get to abita this week.

check out nola brewery. they have a beer called hoptillius or something like that. f'ing good beer.

i would also recommend avenue pub.
they have stone beer on tap along with stuff like brother thelonious, and big foot. many good bottled beers too ranging from mikeller's to rochefort.

def go to abita...they have a 15 minute tour and an hour or so of self serve drinking. you walk behind the bar and fill your cup up. i like the jockamo ipa and the restoration pale ale.

Abita Jockamo IPA
Turbo Dog
Amber
Restoration Ale
Seasonal Pecan

Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan
Reb Ale
Jefferson Sweet Potato Stout
Gulf Porter

Nola
Blonde
Brown

DBA on Frenchmen Street has 30 beers on tap usually and an infinite choice of bottled. As well as an extensive scotch and wine list. Breat live music nightly.

Back