Worst Christmas Presents...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
Everyone gets bad gifts every once in a while. What are some of the worst ones that have ended up under the tree with your name on the tag? And, if you were the person that gave a bad gift, what did you give and to who?

When I was in my mid twenties, my sister gave me a blue jean vest. I have no idea why she thought I would like something like that as I don't think I've EVER seen anyone wear one. It looked kinda like this...

080054r88_000.jpg

I'm sure you guys can do better than that...

Ive always been sort of a hillbilly hunted fished drink get in trouble all the time always wore work boots,jeans a ball cap t-shirt. well 1 christmas my EX OL decided she would buy me this FUBU football jersey thing that said like FUBU No.7 Brooklynn or some crazy thing. But it was just totally the wierdest gift I have ever gotton considering my style of clothing.

Skateboard / Rollerblade / Snowboard multi-tool from my mom. When I was 30. Hadn't rollerbladed in about 5 years, never snowboarded and the last time I was on a skateboard, Spuds McKenzie was cool.

Cheesefood said:
Skateboard / Rollerblade / Snowboard multi-tool from my mom. When I was 30. Hadn't rollerbladed in about 5 years, never snowboarded and the last time I was on a skateboard, Spuds McKenzie was cool.

Maybe she was trying to tell you something, hmm....?

Not too many bad presents jump out at me... a dress shirt that was khaki colored, haven't seen anyone ever wear one and it's the single worst color choice against my pasty skin. We got a glass Christmas ornament, kind of gold, I think it's supposed to look like a book or something (it's REALLY bad) a few years back that's absolutely horrid. We're planning on hanging it on the tree before we leave town, as it's 100% guaranteed that the cats will destroy it while we're away.

The WORST Christmas, present-wise, was when I was like ten, and I didn't get a single TOY for Christmas other than a GI Joe helicoptor from my brother (which was cool). I remember breaking down and crying in front of my grandparents, while at the same time feeling guilty for not being appreciative of what they HAD gotten me... I must have been REALLY bad that year... :D

ohiobrewtus said:
Proposing to my ex-wife. What a freaking disaster that turned out to be.

What were you thinking proposing to your ex? I mean, it didn't workout the first time around...:p

I get some funky shyte from my dad's wife. She's this odd combination of fundamentalist born-again christian, and QVC/HSN-addict. Not that she ever comes at us with any religious stuff or anything (she knows better), but the combination is just strange. Anyway, a few years back, she got us a stand mixer. We'd been in the market for a real-deal Kitchenaid, and I think she found out somehow. But instead of getting us a nice mixer, she gets one off of QVC. Wolfgang. Fuggin. Puck. Yep. So, as if that wasn't bad enough, after we unwrap it and feign thanks, she starts going on about how quiet it is. Okay, I say, that's nice. But she won't let it be. She insists that we unpack it, plug it in, and run it right there in the living room so that we can all see how quiet it is. I fought it, but she wouldn't let it be, so I did it just to appease her.

Can you guess how it sounded? Like gravel in a blender. I'd never heard anything so hideous. Yeah, I want nails-on-a-chalkboard every time I use a mixer. We were dumbfounded...even more so when she was like "oh, see, nice and quiet..." Steph and I look at each other with bewilderment...is she deaf? Are we in the same dimension as her? In what world is that "quiet"? We honestly thought it was broken at first, but no...

Anyway, we got some cash for it on eBay, so it wasn't all bad.

rdwj said:
Everyone gets bad gifts every once in a while. What are some of the worst ones that have ended up under the tree with your name on the tag? And, if you were the person that gave a bad gift, what did you give and to who?

When I was in my mid twenties, my sister gave me a blue jean vest. I have no idea why she thought I would like something like that as I don't think I've EVER seen anyone wear one. It looked kinda like this...

080054r88_000.jpg

I'm sure you guys can do better than that...

hey, is that Fred Ward from Tremors in his earlier years?

alabama.jpg

Last year, I got a Bear's shirt that my step -mother "bought". It was obviously one one those shirts that you get for free when signing up for a newspaper or filling out a credit card application. Outside of being of "free gift" quality, it was a freakin MEDIUM! For those that don't know me, I'm NOWHERE near a medium. I'm 6' 2" and about 245 pounds. XL is about as small as I can go.

Last year some offshoot of people (step-something or other) on my wife's side got everyone nice looking cashmere glove/scarf combos (my wife has two other sisters). My gift from them? A cartoon cat cookie jar. Yep. Awesome. Thanks, guys.

I had also asked for a homebrew start-up kit and got Mr. Beer. Thank Allah for craigslist.

Once the inlaws got me a "chicken on a can" bbq device. I cook I do all the cooking in the house and this was a thoughtful gift to a point. Basically its was a fancy pan with a fake beer can in it so you can cook a whole chicken on a bbq just like you were using a real beer can. I imagine it cost at least $50 so it wasn't cheap but it was mimicking the cheapest solution. Like why pay $1 when you can pay $50? And it was taller than my bbq lid so I couldn't put a lid on it and it took way too long to roast a whole chicken that was sitting straight up. It was a nice idea but hell I have a sharp knife and if I want to cook a whole chicken I butcher it myself.

Because I have long hair and a beared, my mother in law got me a John Lennon album on CD and a shirt that I don't know what happened to, didn't wear it once. Can't remember what stupid thing the shirt said, but I believe it had a cartoon VW bus and a hippy dude with a guitar. Also, I hate John Lennon's solo work.

Evan! said:
hey, is that Fred Ward from Tremors in his earlier years?

alabama.jpg

I'm a bit frightened that you a) knew that dude's name and 2) you took the time to look on the intergoogle for a picture. ;)

My BIL once got me a White Sox t-shirt and jersey as a birthday present. Shame that I didn't have a bird at the time.

Oh, any anything ever from my brother-in-law is an assumed re-gift or some stupid thing from a trade show or similar.

My sister-in-law is a professional ebayer. One year she gave me a box of used clothes. Some were ok, but most smelled like smoke (she smokes heavily, I HATE cigarettes) and some were a size 12! (I'm like a size 6!) I thanked her profusely and donated it all to Goodwill.

My former boss would get us Hickory Farms gift boxes every year. I'll eat pretty much anything, but that stuff is pretty nasty when sober.

And a few years ago I got a customized pen with my last name spelled wrong.

How about a 20% defect rate on a product that is 9 months late? That's what I'm getting this year.

My grandparents, (who are pretty wealthy), bought me a pair of black jeans one year; one pant leg was about 4 inches longer than the other.

They got my cousin a convertible mustang.:mad: No favortism in this family......

bobjenkins79 said:
My grandparents, (who are pretty wealthy), bought me a pair of black jeans one year; one pant leg was about 4 inches longer than the other.

They got my cousin a convertible mustang.:mad: No favortism in this family......

Holy ****, I'd be pissed.

the_bird said:
The WORST Christmas, present-wise, was when I was like ten, and I didn't get a single TOY for Christmas other than a GI Joe helicoptor from my brother (which was cool).

One year when all I wanted was G.I. Joe and Transformers my parents decided that they would not buy me any violent themed toys, nothing with guns whatsoever. I remember being dumbfounded by the train set under the tree.

The thing that bothered me and got me in all sorts of trouble was when I pointed out that my father designed nuclear missile subs. Even if you're only 10, never point out when your parents are being hypocrites...

Latest posts

Back