chlorine for cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysat

Reaction score
hi everyone
I didn't brew over winter and am starting in the first week of spring (september). I left my fermenter outside with water in it for the kids to muck around with. Algae settled on the bottom and bugs and things. Can I clean it with a swimmingpool chlorine tablet and filled with water and left for 10-15 days?,or will that leave a residual taste?
thanks for the advice
andy.

andysat said:
hi everyone
I didn't brew over winter and am starting in the first week of spring (september). I left my fermenter outside with water in it for the kids to muck around with. Algae settled on the bottom and bugs and things. Can I clean it with a swimmingpool chlorine tablet and filled with water and left for 10-15 days?,or will that leave a residual taste?
thanks for the advice
andy.
Hey there Andy. Honestly, I think a swimming pool tri-chlor tablet would be serious overkill, and perhaps damaging to your fermenter. You didn't mention what kind of fermenter you have (plastic bucket, carboy, better bottle, etc.) but I know those tablets are VERY strong, and can be damaging to plastic.

Just wash it out very thoroughly. If it's plastic, be sure not to use a stiff brush or cleaning pad that may scratch it. If there is any residual odor, soak it awhile in water with a splash of bleach. If you still have any doubts about it, remember that ale pails are pretty cheap.

BlindLemonLars said:
If you still have any doubts about it, remember that ale pails are pretty cheap.

I'm not so sure ale pails would be cheap for Andy. First week of spring = September tells me he's in the southern hemisphere. I can only imagine how far the nearest LHBS is and how much shipping would be from AHS or MoreBeer!

Use a few ounces of regular laundry bleach (chlorine) with water and let soak in bucket for a few days. Don't use any scrub pads to clean with as they may scratch the plastic and then you will have hiding spots for bacteria. Use an old shirt or towel to wipe it clean.

I just brewed my first beer and when i cleaned everything i used 2 oz of bleach and when i was ready to pour the wart into the bucket i didnt rinse off the bucket or dry it off after i tossed the bleach water. Will that effect my beer at all or give it a bleach aftertaste?

mdd134 said:
It should not give it an off flavor, but it could kill the yeast. If the yeast started it should be fine.
So for my next batch should i dry it off with paper towels or give a quick rinse with tap water?

You may get some off flavors by not rinsing your bucket after sanitizing with bleach. From John Palmer's How To Brew (howtobrew.com)

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

After rinsing, you are probably safer air-drying than wiping down with paper towel.

brloomis said:
You may get some off flavors by not rinsing your bucket after sanitizing with bleach. From John Palmer's How To Brew (howtobrew.com)

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

After rinsing, you are probably safer air-drying than wiping down with paper towel.
So i may get some off flavors but otherwise it is safe for me to drink?

Back