Toasted Black Cherry wood aging and Turkish Figs for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I'm not too new to brewing but I know this forum gets a lot of viewership so here it goes:

BSDA in secondary
Belgian Golden ale in primary
Tripel in primary
Weizenbock in Primary x2

I have toasted up a piece of black cherry wood and have about 12 oz. of turkish figs cut in quarters having been simmered in about 2 oz. of water.

I'm going to rack two of these brews into a half gallon jug with these ingredients for a secondary aging. Maybe the black cherry for the weizenbock and the figs for the tripel? Whaddya think?

Your pairings are probably the best bet. I'd be hesitant to hit the belgian golden with either of those flavors. And the strong dark I wouldn't want to risk fooling with either. Just my opinion, though.

Just racked the dark weizenbock onto the black cherry wood and the tripel onto the diced figs for two half gallon secondaries . . should be yummy!

So I very messily and clumsily got three Grolsch flip tops outta the half gallon jug fig tripel. 6 oz. went in. The taste is awesome! The gravity was upped by 10 points. I racked after just a few days because I didn't want the flavor to be chewed up by the yeast. My racking cane with a doubled up grain sack worked very well to filter the seeds out. I obtained a lot of pulp and the yeast started working again on the sugars in the bottles so I have them loose to vent CO2. My first time with any kind of fruit so I could have done things differently but the taste was really like a piraat ale, lots of yeastiness, fruitiness, and alcohol. Will try again!

The cherry wood weizenbock has a very nice smell but I havn't tasted it yet. I will give it another week and then bottle

Back