Rye Session (looking for feedback)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbean

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm shooting for a spicy, hoppy, session beer that will quench a thirst. This is what I came up with:

3gal batch- BIAB

1lb Amber (Crisp)
1lb Rye Malt
1lb Amber dry extract

.5oz Cascade 60min
.25oz each Cascade&Centennial 30 min
.25 Centennial 15min

Came out at 3.9% and the latest bottle, (6 weeks old) seemed to nail a lot of what I was shooting for. The hop nose is down but the overall beer seems balanced and chug worthy. I want to tweak this a bit. Planning on dropping the extract and lowering the Rye a pinch. Will prob up the ABV a bit (mid 4). What I'm really wanting is a bit more of a malt backbone. Would love to hear any thoughts on how to tweak this.

Session beers don't lend themselves to strong malt backbones, but a couple ounces of aromatic malt will increase the malt aroma.

david_42 said:
Session beers don't lend themselves to strong malt backbones, but a couple ounces of aromatic malt will increase the malt aroma.

Thanks, will try that for sure. Also got a tip that adding flaked rye will contribute body which should help this low ABV beer seem more complex.

Latest posts

Back