A Double Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Double Session IPA doesn't make a whole lot of naming sense, so I'll have to come up with something a bit clever, but the IBUs put it up there!

An extract brew from Northern Brewer; this one is their Conundrum Session IPA (https://www.northernbrewer.com/conundrum-session-ipa-recipe-kit). I am making this one as a conference giveaway. I have been attending the same conference (60-100 people annually, small) for about 9 years now, and I always bring beer down.

We used to get pretty hefty beer donates from Ballast Point, but that seems to have gone to the wayside. Now it's BYOB and donation-driven-drinking. For the last few years I've been donating about $200 in beer courtesy of my company, but this time I thought I would brew my own beer, label it as "Donated by XYZ" and that way it has more of an impact. Hopefully it becomes a talking point...well, good or bad people will talk about it, lol.

Anyways, I wanted to brew this ahead of time to know if I am going to brew it for the conference (May). As always, I felt it necessary to make changes to the recipe/instructions. The biggest change was hop additions:
@45min 1oz Simcoe (removed at 30min, added back at 10min - trying to take away some of the bitterness)
@20min 3/4oz Amarillo
@10min 1oz Centennial and 1/4oz Amarillo
@5min 1oz Crystal and 2oz whole leaf Citra hops

I won't leave this as a standard IPA though, and once fermentation is done I'll pull off some, force carb in my sodastream, and then decide what additions I'll do. If the IPA comes out as expected (re: drinkable) then I will split the 5 gallons into:
1 - a single gallon as-is
1 - Hibiscus IPA
1 - Bees Knees IPA
2 - Tropicali IPA (Mexican sweet lemon juice, blood orange juice, grapefruit juice, and tangerine juice)

I may dry hop on Citra as well, but that's completely dependant on how hoppy it comes out as-is. With dry hopping, this should teeter on Triple IPA status!

I am fermenting at about 60-65° with Nottingham Ale yeast.

My OG was 1.046 and my estimated FG should be around 1.0115 depending on what this yeast does. I am shooting for something slightly under 5% ABV +/- 1%. We'll see where it ends, and with the different fruit additions it may exceed that from the natural sugars that'll be converted. I don't know if I'll bother taking FG readings of all the break-off batches.

IBU was calculated at 110
SRM was calculated at 5.4
Should be a light, golden yellow

Picture - Far left
IMG_20180306_125809.jpg

Back