Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budman

Reaction score
I am brewing my first lager style beer a batch of Munich helles. I am gonna keg this batch and was wondering if I needed to transfer it from the primary to a secondary fermenter or do I just need to go straight to the keg and let it finish in there. It is currently fermenting at 56 degrees. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

your going to get sever different opinons on a secondary or not. i brewed my first batch the beginnig of the month and I racked to a secondary. You can leave it in the primary for 2 to 3 weeks..then keg..or rack to secondary then keg. Its your preference at this point

I secondary in a corny. Usually leave it on the yeast for about a month with the last week being a d-rest. It takes up less space in my kegerator so I can lager more beers at a time. When you're done you can either serve from that keg or rack to a serving keg. Your choice, if you serve from the secondary keg then the first couple of pulls will be cloudy but then it clears up.

Latest posts

Back