stupid question maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
So i'm trying to cover all my points before I start on my first all grain venture. I have my cooler setup with a manifold. I dont think my spoon will fit in between the pipes of the manifold. Would it be best to just add all my water and then slowly add the grain stirring while doing this? Any other suggestions? :rockin:

I think a lot of people are having good results from using a drill with a grout mixer attached to it to create some extremely easy no-work mash mixing.

That said, I've never had much trouble with dough balls using the recommended amount of water from Beersmith and a normal plastic mash paddle. Unless you're going with a super thick mash, I'd just go for it and depend on the agitation from the spoon being an inch away to keep everything circulating as well as it needs to.

I am curious why you have a manifold that tightly spaced though. Record setting flow rate really isn't the goal for draining your mash, and I can't really think of another reason to have that many pipes going. You will want to careful of stuck sparges (and triply so if you're using wheat.)

I guess I over exagerated. They are probably 4 inches apart(or so). So I think I phrased it wrong. I was more concerned with the grains that got under and around the piping. I guess its not the end of the world if a few grains dont get properly stirred. thanks for the help!!!

I have not had any problems with adding water first, then adding small increments of grain and stirring. I probably add 4-5 pounds of grain at a time, stir well, then add another. I use a large SS Spoon.

So many different methods. Personally I add 1/3 water, 1/3 grain, stir a bit then repeat.

If you are really worried (I wouldn't be) then you could look up underletting.

Back