Giga Yeast Vermont IPA aka Conan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephN

Reaction score
Question about the visible activity of the Giga yeast Vermont IPA strain.

I brewed an American IPA yesterday and pitched this yeast at 9pm, nearly 24 hrs ago. This morning I saw a slight bubbling action in the air lock and that there was a lighter color liquid on the top 2-3" of wort. The lower 5.5 gallons looked dark as normal. I figured that the yeast had just settled at the top and hadn't worked its way through the wort, so I lifted it out of my chamber and slightly rocked it. When I did that instantly a 3-4" layer of co2 foam formed and the pressure blew so hard that I got sprayed from what was released out of the air lock. It didn't blow it off but it definitely showed me that it was active. The co2 bubbles have cleared and there is still no visible krausen forming. It doesn't even appear to be as active as any other yeast that I've used. Basically it looks like it did this morning, calm with a few bubbles on top and a light haze in the first 2-3". Does this normally happen with this yeast, or does it sound like something is wrong? This is my first time using it and the package was made just 20 days ago. Obviously it's doing something just not like the 001 that I pitched in my Porter yesterday. Also I have my temp chamber set to 65F.

Back