How to remove kegerator shank from tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to remove the shanks from my draft tower so I can replace the beer lines with longer lines, and I have no clue how to get the shanks off. I don't seem to have a wrench that I can use to get around the brass nut, since there are 2 taps right next to each other. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this? I can't be the first person who's struggled with this, but searching didn't turn up anything useful.

j4mTel.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know how I missed that thread when searching, it was just a couple weeks ago, too. Alright, I guess I'll keep fighting with it. Good to know you got yours eventually. :) Thanks!

Also, looking at that other thread, could you make a shank wrench?

Take a cheap wrench the proper size, and cut out a section using a dremel tool with a cut off wheel?

the problem with channel lock pliers, or any pliers but needle-nose, is that even if you can get a grip on the shank nut, you have no room to turn.

I suppose you could cut out a notch from an existing wrench, but are you really saving yourself any trouble by getting a cheap wrench, cutting a notch in it and hoping that works over just forcing your way through with needle-nose? i doubt it.

Ok, got 'em off. The needle nosed pliers worked on one of the nuts, I guess it was a little looser, and that gave me enough room to get the other one off. Thanks all!

BTW, it kills me a little bit, getting advice from a Giants fan. ;)

Cool, I should definitely pick one of those up. If that fits and can still turn a little, that'd make it a whole lot easier.

I just used channel locks, had no problem installing three on a tower. Dunno, my tower was a 3" tower maybe yours is a 2.5" but it was fairly easy to remove them with channel locks.

I finally got them back on with some locking needle nose pliers. They worked better than normal needle nose pliers 'cause they hinged open wider and the locking function allowed me to get a better grip on the nut. It would be nice to have one of those wrenches that is actually designed for this, but I got it all back together so I'm good for now.

Thanks all!

I just bought one of these b/c my shanks on my tower look just like the top photo. I can't get them off even with this thing?!

I assume you are supposed to use the "one sided" end to be able to turn them easier? Mine won't grip with that side unless I am using it incorrectly?

If I use the dual sided end, there is still no room to turn half the time. Right now they are turned (im)perfectly so that I can't grip them with the dual sided one again.

WTF...

Oh man, I tried a few more times over the weekend - for 15-20 a pop b/c then I would get too frustrated - and mine are just impossible to get off. Any other tips on this?

I am thinking of buying a 1" or 1 1/16" wrench (a normal 12 pt. closed wrench) and dremeling a piece of it out to slide over the skinny part (where the tube connects) of the shank, and trying to use that?

Anyone think this would work?

You can't lock it in and turn the fitting?

Not sure I know what you mean? The two sided wrench will fit over the fitting, but not turn where it is situated now... its too wide.

The one sided I can't get to "lock in" or even slightly "grip" the fitting at all. It is about the right size it appears, but maybe it is not, b/c it just slips off when I apply any force using the one sider. I've tried "pushing" the fitting with the one sider, and "pulling" (again - not sure exactly how to use the spanner - looked online for a tutorial - how sad is that?) it, and no dice. It just won't grip the fitting even with its little cutout...

Thats what I eventually did, went to Harbor Freight and picked up two.

Well, ACE was a lot closer than harbor freight, but this was the best $6.50 I have spent in a while (after $5 ace rewards coupon). I wish I could have found a cheaper wrench to use, but ah welll, it was welllllllll worth it.

Had them off in seconds after I made this...

custom_beer_tower_wrench.jpg

custom_beer_tower_wrench2_.jpg

Well, ACE was a lot closer than harbor freight, but this was the best $6.50 I have spent in a while (after $5 ace rewards coupon). I wish I could have found a cheaper wrench to use, but ah welll, it was welllllllll worth it.

Had them off in seconds after I made this...

custom_beer_tower_wrench.jpg

custom_beer_tower_wrench2_.jpg

What is the size you have there? I can't see it on tool. Did it work as well putting the nuts back on?

Digging this thread up again in the hopes that someone sees it, but how the hell do you know what size the nuts are before buying the wrench and testing it out? I got mine on Craigslist (thus necessitating a disassembly and cleaning) but I have no clue if they're 1 inch or 1 1/16 inches.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have calipers and I haven't used a compass since like 7th grade.

I ended up buying this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHMHL7M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It doesn't specifically say the sizes, but the picture is a dual sided tool which I'm assuming is 1" and 1 1/16" so I should be good. This one is only $12 with free prime shipping and it's the exact same picture as other ones that are selling for around $30.

Figured that was cheaper and easier than buying and cutting wrenches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a ******, but... you don't have to turn the nut. It's easier to simply hold the nut, then put your tap shank back on and turn that. Instead of turning the outside you turn the inside. Much less frustrating.

Yeah, but I'd still have the same problem. It's super hard to get a good enough grip on them without the right tool. Some people said they were able to do it, but not without a lot of cursing and bloody knuckles - which is the path I was going down before ordering the wrench.

Yeah, but I'd still have the same problem. It's super hard to get a good enough grip on them without the right tool. Some people said they were able to do it, but not without a lot of cursing and bloody knuckles - which is the path I was going down before ordering the wrench.

Actually, I'm going back on this... maybe. If you hold the nut and turn the tap, wouldn't it also turn the metal elbow and beer lines? There isn't enough room inside the tap tower for that stuff to turn very far.

Back