Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale 09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhonda00

Reaction score
I went to Heb to get a mixer sixer and threw one of these in the mix. This year it's an IPA and probably one of the best I've ever had. It says on the bottle that it's got a citrus note from locally grown hops or whatever. Let me tell you, it starts strong and finishes crisp. It's def the best beer of theirs I've ever had and I tend to enjoy their beer a lot!

If you can find it, buy a bunch and don't share!

I picked up one today and will probably have it in the next couple days... a big 24oz bottle...

Pour it in one big glass b/c you will without a doubt drink the whole thing. I'm going to go get some more soon.

i drank one at the brewery two weeks ago. everything is better fresh and on tap. they also have great food their to if your ever in the area. the bigfoot barley wine comes in a coffee cup lookin glass for the same price as all the other beers. they also have sexy merch girls :)

It wasn't overpriced like a lot of the beer I buy. It was $5.09 for the bottle. I spent another $16.99 on a Rogue Imperial Younger's Special Bitter too.. lol

I hate that Rogue ****. We have a family friend who doesn't homebrew and buys that crap. He thought that all good beers cost 10 dollars a bottle until he tasted a beer I made for around .40 C. I love when he buys it b/c I get to drink something I refuse to buy.

Hmmm. Haven't had the 2009 anniversary yet, but I noticed Naked City has it on tap. I wonder if the keg will last until Friday.

I hate that Rogue ****. We have a family friend who doesn't homebrew and buys that crap. He thought that all good beers cost 10 dollars a bottle until he tasted a beer I made for around .40 C. I love when he buys it b/c I get to drink something I refuse to buy.

Do you hate it because it's expensive or because it's bad beer? I haven't had but a couple Rogue's that I didn't think were simply excellent. I don't often buy the Imperials because they are so expensive, but I enjoy one every now and then.

Do you hate it because it's expensive or because it's bad beer? I haven't had but a couple Rogue's that I didn't think were simply excellent. I don't often buy the Imperials because they are so expensive, but I enjoy one every now and then.

I don't think that it's bad beer, but I refuse to pay in your case $16 a bottle unless it's wine or something that I can't make. I mean I respect their specialty craft, but don't rip me off. I think that's just me being cheap. Coming from a homebrewer that pays more than a brewery to produce beer, but less than buying it from the store, I know it doesn't cost $16 to make that bottle. Therefore, I feel as if I'm getting ripped off. I know that they have to make profit somewhere, but like 1600% profit is a little ridiculous. I think that there are many "beer snobs" who would say you can't get that flavor or some **** from anything but Rogue and would give their life savings for one more sip of the stuff, but not I.

Know what I mean?

I don't think that it's bad beer, but I refuse to pay in your case $16 a bottle unless it's wine or something that I can't make.

I understand where you're coming from but I urge you to reconsider how you view beer and value in what you pay for beer. Why is wine more worthy of high prices? You said yourself you'd be willing to pay $16 for a bottle of wine. Why? A 750ml bottle of wine is about the same size as a 22oz bottle of beer, and beer is just as worthy of high prices if it is a quality beer.
We need to support more diverse beer pricing. As lovers of craft beer we shouldn't be insulting beer simply because it's higher priced than other beers. Many wine lovers are willing to pay $50 for a bottle, or higher. That bottle sure didn't cost $50 to produce.
I paid $32 for a 750ml bottle of Lost Abbey Angel's Share beer. It was the highest price I've ever paid for a beer. It didn't end up being worth it, because I didn't think it was a very good beer (I think they messed up their 2009 release), but if it had been in the top 10 beers I've tried then it would be worth it.

I do know what you mean, but the Ten Thousand Brew Ale was one of the best ****ing beers I have ever had. Plus I plan to use the bottle for a batch soon.

I've seen that one at the Texas Liquor Store equivalent of Wal Mart. If I remember correctly, It was in a sweet bottle. I've never had that one though.

I don't think that it's bad beer, but I refuse to pay in your case $16 a bottle unless it's wine or something that I can't make. I mean I respect their specialty craft, but don't rip me off. I think that's just me being cheap. Coming from a homebrewer that pays more than a brewery to produce beer, but less than buying it from the store, I know it doesn't cost $16 to make that bottle. Therefore, I feel as if I'm getting ripped off. I know that they have to make profit somewhere, but like 1600% profit is a little ridiculous. I think that there are many "beer snobs" who would say you can't get that flavor or some **** from anything but Rogue and would give their life savings for one more sip of the stuff, but not I.

Know what I mean?

I couldnt agree more. But what pisses me off more is the fact that there is no middle ground for commercial beer, it's either yellow fizzy piss water or high-priced craft brews.

(p.s. is this what hijacking a thread means?)

+1 hijacked thread

I'd only pay $16 for a bottle of beer if there was something real special going on, like they conditioned it in white oak casks with 20 year old scotch, then strained it through virgin plucked red headed c*** hairs or something like that.

+1 hijacked thread

I'd only pay $16 for a bottle of beer if there was something real special going on, like they conditioned it in white oak casks with 20 year old scotch, then strained it through virgin plucked red headed c*** hairs or something like that.

+2. Also, I know exactly what you mean, Yellow piss or expensive craft like Shock Top. LOL j/k. I don't understand why it costs them on average 1/3 more to make a bottle of ale. For instance, I love New Castle, but It's $9 a sixer. WTF. I'm making a NC clone Saturday and all my grain/yeast cost me about $25. So, that's $25.00/48 = .52 C a beer. Keep in mind, I bought 10 lb's of grain. Imagine if I was a Giant Brewery that bought thousands even hundreds of thousands of lb's of grain how cheap it would be to them.

I don't understand why it costs them on average 1/3 more to make a bottle of ale.

There is your problem, cost and price are not always a 1:1 linkage. I've done some product introduction and pricing work, I use cost as the last resort for price setting data. Cost+ based pricing is, IMO a poor technique.

+2. Also, I know exactly what you mean, Yellow piss or expensive craft like Shock Top. LOL j/k. I don't understand why it costs them on average 1/3 more to make a bottle of ale. For instance, I love New Castle, but It's $9 a sixer. WTF. I'm making a NC clone Saturday and all my grain/yeast cost me about $25. So, that's $25.00/48 = .52 C a beer. Keep in mind, I bought 10 lb's of grain. Imagine if I was a Giant Brewery that bought thousands even hundreds of thousands of lb's of grain how cheap it would be to them.

The short answer is "because they can get that much for it."

It may be a ripoff, but it's only that expensive because that's what the market will tolerate for beer of that quality. You also don't seem to have accounted for the labor and overhead costs involved in making and distributing said beer.

Anyway, back on topic, the Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale really was pretty good. I had one after a week or more of no beer at all, and it was epically satisfying.

I'm making a NC clone Saturday and all my grain/yeast cost me about $25. So, that's $25.00/48 = .52 C a beer.
But you're not considering the cost of your time...what with those darned brewers/apprentices always wanting to get paid for their hard work. You also are probably not figuring in your energy cost...or the 'rent/mortgage' for your 'brewery'. You're probably not even considering the cost of each bottle, which you get to reuse but they give it away with each beer. Then they have to ship/distribute it. Your beer didn't cost anywhere near 52 cents a bottle when you really factor in all the costs associated and pay yourself even minimum wage.

Not saying these beers are not over-priced but the uber-mass-production of the BMC-stuff has spoiled us into thinking good beer is cheaper to make/sell than it really is. At least for the craft guys.

I should mention that I've never had a Rogue beer...at least partly because it is too expensive. But I don't fool myself into thinking my beer is some super-cheap alternative.

How much would you sell your homebrew for if you actually had to sell it for a profit?

But you're not considering the cost of your time...what with those darned brewers/apprentices always wanting to get paid for their hard work. You also are probably not figuring in your energy cost...or the 'rent/mortgage' for your 'brewery'. You're probably not even considering the cost of each bottle, which you get to reuse but they give it away with each beer. Then they have to ship/distribute it. Your beer didn't cost anywhere near 52 cents a bottle when you really factor in all the costs associated and pay yourself even minimum wage.

Not saying these beers are not over-priced but the uber-mass-production of the BMC-stuff has spoiled us into thinking good beer is cheaper to make/sell than it really is. At least for the craft guys.

I should mention that I've never had a Rogue beer...at least partly because it is too expensive. But I don't fool myself into thinking my beer is some super-cheap alternative.

How much would you sell your homebrew for if you actually had to sell it for a profit?

Yeah yeah, I understand that expenses must be factored into the equation and that most of these expensive MICRO breweries like Rogue that even has a store in the airport, is probably working their asses off to produce a beer that we enjoy. I know that the price of the product by all means when you're talking about a specialty product should not be based on the costs of equipment alone. Compare one of these little companies to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can get away with selling things at low rates b/c they can buy and ship at low rates. Some of these breweries don't have that working for them because there just isn't enough demand for their products. Therefore, they have to sell it to us for a little more than their competitors, but the general consumer knows this and will be glad to pay those few extra bucks.

Yeah yeah, I understand that expenses must be factored into the equation and that most of these expensive MICRO breweries like Rogue that even has a store in the airport, is probably working their asses off to produce a beer that we enjoy. I know that the price of the product by all means when you're talking about a specialty product should not be based on the costs of equipment alone. Compare one of these little companies to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can get away with selling things at low rates b/c they can buy and ship at low rates. Some of these breweries don't have that working for them because there just isn't enough demand for their products. Therefore, they have to sell it to us for a little more than their competitors, but the general consumer knows this and will be glad to pay those few extra bucks.
Yeah, the fact that we actually enjoy the process makes it seem like 'free labor'. When I try to put a price on my beer to sell for a profit (which isn't realistic but sort of fun exercise) it gets REALLY expensive!:mug:

I have mixed feelings on really expensive brews like this. I almost always am willing to try something if it's around $10 for a bomber. But I will almost never repeat buy because I don't get why certain companies like Rogue think their big IPA's are worth so much when I usually prefer a Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic and it's less than half the price. I also have no problem paying a lot for a beer if there is a concrete reason for it. For instance, Dogfish Head has a ton of beers that are expensinve, but when drinking them, I can understand why they charge so much. If there are any doubts, just check out these videos about their Sah'tea...
http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/sahtea-0.htm

+1 on Sah'Tea. Thought it was worth the $11. DFH sometimes gets a bad rap for just trying to do crazy stuff, but for the most part, I think the beers are really good.

Back