carbonation stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockentalk

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on carbonation stones. I have one, and it seems to do a pretty good job, but it is a pain sometimes. My kegs don't have a pressure relief valve, so I can't release pressure when the stone is in. Also, transferring into the keg with the stone means leaving off the lid of the keg. Also, I don't always get a good seal on my keg, so I have to pressurize, and that is hard with a stone. I'm thinking about abandoning the whole thing. Perhaps I'll only use it in summer for my lighter ales. I don't think I really need it for my heavier winter ales.

Your kegs don't have pressure release valves? Are these Cornelius/soda kegs? That sounds inconvenient, and possibly dangerous.

How is your carbonation stone hooked up? From your description, it sounds like it's connected to the gas-in post.

I've never used one, but it looks like this product from MoreBeer would solve both of your problems: Carbonating Keg Lid | MoreBeer

-Steve

I haven't used a carbonation stone, even in my soda water kegs. It won't do anything I can't do using other methods.

Your kegs don't have pressure release valves? Are these Cornelius/soda kegs? That sounds inconvenient, and possibly dangerous.

Yeah, they're corny kegs. I can relieve the pressure by opening the gas-in valve (with a nail or with a disconnect), but not when I have the stone attached.

I haven't used a carbonation stone, even in my soda water kegs. It won't do anything I can't do using other methods.

Yeah... even though I posted the link to the MoreBeer carbonation lid, I really don't see a need for it. If I'm in a hurry (which is usually the case), shaking will do the job.

-Steve

How is your carbonation stone hooked up? From your description, it sounds like it's connected to the gas-in post.

I've never used one, but it looks like this product from MoreBeer would solve both of your problems: Carbonating Keg Lid | MoreBeer

-Steve
Have you ever used this corny keg top ... the one from more beers? if so what is your position; any good?

Back