Have i added the fining at the right time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigshag

Reaction score
its my first brew and after the first fermentation was complete (about 7 days) i transferred 5 liters to bottles and 15 liters to my king keg, i was given some free fining when i bought my kit so after i transferred the brew to the keg i added the sugar and then finings.

i know there are different way to to this and people have their own way to do it, but by adding the fining at the same time as the sugar will this mean my brew wont do its secondary fermentation? have i mucked it up :(

Finings are usually added after fermentation is complete and clearing is taking place, personally I would not add any finings until after secondary (if secondary is used) and only if the brew is not clearing.

Not too many people using secondaray these days for a typical uncomplicated brew and most are advocating at least 3 weeks before bottling/kegging depending on the brew and the FG.

You might get away with this one if it is a highly hopped light IPA, wheat, or red. Otherwise it is packaged way too early. Did you check the gravity prior to bottling/kegging?

the lager is Coopers, i checked SG (1038) and the FG was (1006) the instructions said it could be bottled after 6-7 days but from what ive read on here i should be more patient :) ah well i know for next time.

the fining where these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ritchies-...160887394091?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item2575a2cf2b

hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed, atleast i bottles 5 liters, so not a total loss if it all goes wrong :)

another question, if i had a beer that was not clearing and wanted to add beer after secondary (my King Keg) how could i add fining? would unscrewing the top just let the gass out? or would it build up again without issue?

and whats the boil? is this boiling hops?

its my first brew and after the first fermentation was complete (about 7 days) i transferred 5 liters to bottles and 15 liters to my king keg, i was given some free fining when i bought my kit so after i transferred the brew to the keg i added the sugar and then finings.

i know there are different way to to this and people have their own way to do it, but by adding the fining at the same time as the sugar will this mean my brew wont do its secondary fermentation? have i mucked it up :(

It should have no effect on your carbonation. As a matter of fact most cask ales are made that way. Finings are added when the beer is kegged.:mug:

bosco

the lager is Coopers, i checked SG (1038) and the FG was (1006) the instructions said it could be bottled after 6-7 days but from what ive read on here i should be more patient :) ah well i know for next time.

the fining where these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ritchies-...160887394091?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item2575a2cf2b

hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed, atleast i bottles 5 liters, so not a total loss if it all goes wrong :)

Cooper's times can be doubled and you would probably get a better beer. Since the Cooper's Lager is not really a tru Lager it will be OK.

When I do a Cooper's I let it ferment for an extra week beyond the stable specific gravity. I would also wait 2 weeks or longer after bottling. It might have enough gas after a week (per directions) but it gets a lot better after 3 or 4 weeks.

bosco

Great thanks for the tips guys :)

looking forward to trying it, but i think i will be patient and wait for about a month or so.

but since i have a spare bucket now i think i may make another batch may go for a bitter :tank:

Back