cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetchicken6

Reaction score
I brewed a sierrra nevada pale ale and everything turned out great except for the clarity. I can almot see the grain floating around. Is there a way to filter this out of the keg and also what is a better straining method for all grain. Thanks

What method did you use to mash. You shouldn't end up with grain in the fermenter.

Did you have grains in your kettle? This is a huge problem. I can't see how grains would actually get through the poppets on your keg though.

As for filtering it... the easiest thing to do is just let it sit around 34F for a few weeks and most of that stuff will settle to the bottom. Unfortunately, I don't think gelatin will help if you've got actual grains in the beer.

If you really want to filter it, you can hook up a course house style filter (2-5 micron should take care of anything large) to your keg. Basically you'll want two kegs hooked together. Hook the filter up between the liquid out sides of both kegs and then push it with co2 from one keg to the next.

Something like this should do the trick... http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...artidge-filters/cartridge-filter-housing.html

The beer should be clear coming out of the fermenter. To clear it, you have to know what's causing the haze. If it's an AG batch, did you check for conversion? It could be a starch haze if conversion was incomplete. Did you get a good hot break and good cold break? Not getting either could cause cloudiness in the beer.

My wort is pretty clear right out of the kettle- I use whirfloc which helps. If it's cloudy out of the kettle, it might never ever clear depending on what the problem is.

I make sure my wort is running clear all during the lauter and skim off any hotbreak forming in the boil pot. I add WhirlFloc with 9 minutes remaining to the boil and use a wort chiller to quick cool the wort and an auto siphon to move it to the fermenter.

samplspa-sml.jpg

By this time the beer is generally clear although I still transfer it to a secondary and cold crash it for a week before moving it once more to a bottling bucket or corny keg. This makes for a remarkably clean tasting and clear beer, without filtering.

Back