Oak Chips & Holiday Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraxtonBrewery

Reaction score
Brewed a Spiced Holiday Ale, racked it to secondary and tossed some spiced rum soaked oak chips in there for 10 days. There is a little too much oak for me. I know it dies down over time, I'm just hoping I didnt ruin it.

In most holiday ales (it was the first one i've done) are the spices (cinnamon, ginger, all spice, etc.) very noticeable? Or does it just depend on how many you put in?

I think it really depends on your intent; I usually associate the spices somewhat strong, but the certainly shouldn't overpower the beer itself. For example, I'd consider a pumpkin ale to be spicier than a holiday beer, but that could very well be my own taste.

Regarding the oak, it'll probably be fine with time, and considering the short time that it was in contact, it'll probably be in good shape by Christmas too. For future tries, I'd suggest using oak cubes instead of chips, as they give you a finer control of the amount of flavor extraction (and at least in my experience lend a milder "oak" to it rather than the harsh flavor you get out of chips). Did you add any of the rum in which the oak was soaking?

Back