I need help ASAP!!! Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesestilldrumming

Reaction score
I did a yeast starter yesterday and stirred up the solution in my flask after activity was present. Its not 10 hours later and activity was still going so I stirred it again. There is no activity now and im worried I messed it up. Never did a started before and I dont want this Wee Heavy to be a screw up.

I did a yeast starter yesterday and stirred up the solution in my flask after activity was present. Its not 10 hours later and activity was still going so I stirred it again. There is no activity now and im worried I messed it up. Never did a started before and I dont want this Wee Heavy to be a screw up.

If your concern was that activity was so brief, don't be concerned. That's the way starters go.

You should swish the starter as often as possible. I would not open it or put anything in there to stir it though.

I would shake it often, like anytime you walk by it. The shaking (or stirring) helps provide more oxygen for the yeast and keeps them in suspension. I did get a yeast a few months ago that didn't show any starter activity after a day which is unusual. The yeast was well within the use by date. Not wanting to chance it, I went and got another (from different store) and added it to the same starter. Within a few hours the starter was very active. I just assumed the first yeast was bad. I actually brought the empty back to that LHS and they replaced it and said that sometimes you get a bad yeast. They basically get credited from White labs in that situation. I would definitely rather double up then trust an inactive starter.

passedpawn said:
If your concern was that activity was so brief, don't be concerned. That's the way starters go.

You should swish the starter as often as possible. I would not open it or put anything in there to stir it though.

Thanks i only swished it

Latest posts

Back