Washing grain bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
I've been doing PM batches lately as I like the added control and grains that I couldn't use without mashing.

I've got this big nylon grain bag (it holds my 6-7lbs of grain with a ton of room to spare). It's not a disposable bag, a bit more expensive and better quality. Anyway, when I'm done with the bag I rinse the bag in the sink the best I can, but there are always little specs of husk/grain that just won't come off and I'm not about to pick each one off.

The first time I put it through a wash cycle in the wash with no soap. This weekend my stupid ass dumped detergent in and let it wash. When I took it out I could I smell the detergent and realized my mistake. I then put it through another wash cycle with no soap.

Do you think it will be a problem to use the bag again? I know soap compounds can kill head and I don't want my beer tasting like soap. With that said, any good methods for washing your reusable nylon grain bags? Do you just leave the little specs of husk/grain on that you can't get off and just let them dry?

Thanks everybody!

:mug:

Well that makes me feel better than someone else has used soap without any bad results. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid..........maybe I'll have to relax and have a beer at lunch, but wait I'm work so that probably wouldn't go over too well.

Seconded on the bag washing.

Maybe get hop scented bounce sheets or something.

Is that UW MGD MAN as in Univ of Wisc Drinks Miller Genuine Draft

or

UWM GD MAN as in UW - Milw likes Grateful Dead

olllllo said:
Seconded on the bag washing.

Maybe get hop scented bounce sheets or something.

Is that UW MGD MAN as in Univ of Wisc Drinks Miller Genuine Draft

or

UWM GD MAN as in UW - Milw likes Grateful Dead

Good to hear. Hop scented bounce sheets, now that's an idea. I'd love to see what SWMBO would do if I did some laundry and her clothes came reeking of Cascade.

As far as my name, it's the Univ of Wisc Drinks Miller Genuine Draft. That was my AOL instant messenger name I made when I got to college my freshman year, wow that was over 7 years ago now. Anyway MGD was my beer of choice back then and I'll still drink it if I'm not drinking one of my mine or a micro. It's my favorite BMC. I guess when I need to put a user name in somewhere I still just use that.....enter my handle here on HBT.

Are you a former WI resident? I'll have to guess yeah with the figuring UW part out.

As an AG'er, I rinse the bag, then soak in left over sanitiser (chlorine), dry, and put away for next time. I'm not too particular about sterility for mash utensils- it's all going to get boiled for an hour, starting in a little while. You don't think your grains are sterile, do you? A malt house is an excellent incubator- warm, moist, airy...

Back