What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I brewed 6 gallons of Count Orloque Dark Saison from Zymurgy (1.081 OG). Sometime this week will package 1 gallon of experimental lime "Hard Seltzer".

'hard seltzer'? how did it get hard? vodka or yeast?

anyway, it's brew day. so for beer today, i got up at 6am, and forced myself to pour myself a nice amber homebrew at 7am, deculm my malt and get started brewing another 10 gallons!

Kegged my Schlenkerla Clone tonight.

She's very smokey...[emoji12]

10lbs of Beech Smoked Malt. Home made
1/2 lb of Black Malt
2 oz of Mt Hood @ 60 min

Mashed high for more mouth feel.

OG 10.53
FG 10.15
ABV 5.0%
SRM 25
IBU 40

Just ordered ingredients for this, come next weekend gonna brew my first dark beer. And it`s gonna be SSSSSSSMOKIN`! :D

Just ordered ingredients for this, come next weekend gonna brew my first dark beer. And it`s gonna be SSSSSSSMOKIN`! :D
That's awesome!!! Stupid question, have you had this beer before?

Schlenkerla Marzen

It's smack you in the face, beotch slap smokey. I will say it mellows with the absorption of alcohol to your pallet. Your pallet seems to adjust to it, on the second beer the smoke is notable just after the pour and the first few sips and fades again. But, if you gave it to you ole lady she want to kill you for making her try it. I know mine would.

Also, it's really good with smoked, or grilled food, Mexican, Spicy Thai, hibachi or any meat that gets mallaird reaction from serious browning.

In the past 50% rauch is the starting recommendation before you go all out, but if that's what you want I'm with you. I think store bought malt is less smokey. The age of the malt makes it more mellow. It's a good thing.

Last edited:
I`m well acquainted with the old limper yes, it is widely available here. In fact just had one a few weeks back. Not a fan of the Urbock version but Märzen is my second favorite smokey beer.
What did I do for beer? Got me one cause it wants to be drank, so I'm doing it a favor.

Motivation for you, don't forget to post in my rauchbier thread.

20181008_174231.jpeg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Brewed up another 10G batch of Fizzy Yellow... Cheap n easy. Tapped a keg of the Citra DBL IPA brewed over a month ago. Mmm. Its so hard to wait sometimes. lol.
20181008_183006.jpeg

I'm forgetting a lot today. What's your favorite?

Vakka-Suomen-Prykmestar-Savu-Kataja.jpg

This local delicacy. Don`t buy it too often cause it`s over seven euros a bottle but when I do, whoo boy it is GOOD. Pretty much says "brewmaster`s smoked juniper", not entirely sure how exactly it is made but you can certainly taste the juniper (wood not the berries)

I got a new stir plate and beaker setup. All I have is safale us 05 so I pitched a starter with it because I wanted to try the new equipment out for my Stout. I let it sit at room temp on plate 36 hours then let settle, decanted, and pitched. Got this in 6 hours fastest fermentation time yet!
IMG_20181008_212953166.jpeg
IMG_20181005_130837782.jpeg

My crystal malt is out of the instant pot, now in my drying basket. Moving to the same baskets that I use for smoking grain. Into the oven at 170F with door propped open.

When dry it will be like Carapils. After 12-24 hours I'll toast it to 40L, so 250F for 75 minutes.

20181009_210326.jpeg
20181009_210828.jpeg

Last edited:
My crystal malt is out of the instant pot, now in my drying basket. Moving to the same baskets that I use for smoking grain. Into the oven at 170F with door propped open.

When dry it will be like Carapils. After 12-24 hours I'll toast it to 40L, so 250F for 75 minutes.

View attachment 592082View attachment 592085

How did you make that basket? i've been using 4 foil roasting pans with holes punched in the bottom, that looks way better! if i could make two of them the size of the oven rack, i might be able to kiln my malt in one go instead of 2 batches and save gas! lol, want to go pro and make me a couple!? :) 15-20 a piece+S&H?

How did you make that basket? i've been using 4 foil roasting pans with holes punched in the bottom, that looks way better! if i could make two of them the size of the oven rack, i might be able to kiln my malt in one go instead of 2 batches and save gas! lol, want to go pro and make me a couple!? :) 15-20 a piece+S&H?
I used aluminum screen. $6.00 for 3'x20' roll.

Rolled it out 4" larger in each direction L x W so I'd have a 2" high wall all around the basket. I also used a meter stick to mark, then cut with scissors, used the stick to fold and crease the screen. Then pinched the corners closed, and fold it to one side like you would wrap a package. Then stapled it several times with a mini stapler. Do each corner and you're done. You will need either a cookie sheet to carry or use the oven racks. They are flimsy without some support for transport.

Try making one out of 8.5 x 11 printer paper for practice folding and stapling, the corners before you cut your aluminum screen. Mulligans are cheaper this way.

I show this also in this thread. See post #5.

I used aluminum screen. $6.00 for 3'x20' roll.

Rolled it out 4" larger in each direction L x W so I'd have a 2" high wall all around the basket. I also used a meter stick to mark, then cut with scissors, used the stick to fold and crease the screen. Then pinched the corners closed, and fold it to one side like you would wrap a package. Then stapled it several times with a mini stapler. Do each corner and you're done. You will need either a cookie sheet to carry or use the oven racks. They are flimsy without some support for transport.

Try making one out of 8.5 x 11 printer paper for practice folding and stapling, the corners before you cut your aluminum screen. Mulligans are cheaper this way.

I show this also in this thread. See post #5.

sounds good, think i'll pick a roll at the hardware store tomorrow! thanks for the tip!

And i dumped yet another 23 pounds of barley in the spare tub and gave it a couple hour soak today for beer!

which i look forward to trying these screen baskets on in the oven/kiln!

sounds good, think i'll pick a roll at the hardware store tomorrow! thanks for the tip!

And i dumped yet another 23 pounds of barley in the spare tub and gave it a couple hour soak today for beer!

which i look forward to trying these screen baskets on in the oven/kiln!
You're Welcome!

Should be a piece of cake. Measure the inside of the oven twice with the racks inserted, before you layout and cut your screen. You'll be golden.

If you wanted something more stiff you could buy hardware cloth or chicken wire, make the baskets out of these then line them with the aluminum screen staple them in place or inset the a pre made screen basket into the more sturdy basket.

You're Welcome!

Should be a piece of cake. Measure the inside of the oven twice with the racks inserted, before you layout and cut your screen. You'll be golden.

If you wanted something more stiff you could buy hardware cloth or chicken wire, make the baskets out of these then line them with the aluminum screen staple them in place or inset the a pre made screen basket into the more sturdy basket.

took the words out of my mouth. but now hearing you say it, i think first thing i'll try is just taking the oven racks out of the oven and carrying the baskets on them from the malting tub to the oven....

Roasted the crystal malt that I mashed yesterday. Turned it into 40L crystal malt.

Looks dark, but it was nearly that color when it came out of the mash tun. The corners are a little darker, I think the color is mainly just on the husks.
20181010_214701.jpeg

Homebrew club meeting last night. Shared a couple beers I plan to enter into a competition, oatmeal stout and brown ale. I'm personally more proud of the stout, but one guy in particular was pretty enthralled with the brown. Looking forward to seeing how they do!

Washed the necessary pots and pans to get a mash going, have to wash the rest tomorrow while mashing, damn RSI on my wrist is acting up and it`s aching like feck. Few cans of beer and an ice pack should soothe it up though...

Ask not what I did for beer today, ask what I did for my liver! :rolleyes:

OK, the day is still early...:yes::rock:

for my liver i eat a bowl of my homemade granola most every morning! that way i can drink a twelve pack a day and my blood work says my AST=18/ALT=16 & GGT is 29....not too bad for an alcoholic! bilrubin, ALP all look great too!

And i made a @Schlenkerla Basket or rather two big ones! hoping it holds the whole 20lb batch in one cycle of the oven! might knock the cost of a pound of malt down to 29 cents from 32...

100_0498.JPG

and yes i know, once you start brewing beer indoors on your stove it's basically destroyed!

I make starters with dry yeast too. Oh, and I picked up a 6 pack of play date sour.
Awesome! I kept reading conflicting opinions... I've never had that sour ale before! I made a starter last week with a single packet of 05 with 2.5l wort and in 5 hours my Imperial Stout was about to blow the lid and I had to put a blow off on it later that night! Hehe. That's when first got my stir plate and Beaker so I just had to play with it !
IMG_20181009_232602669.jpeg

Awesome! I kept reading conflicting opinions... I've never had that sour ale before! I made a starter last week with a single packet of 05 with 2.5l wort and in 5 hours my Imperial Stout was about to blow the lid and I had to put a blow off on it later that night! Hehe. That's when first got my stir plate and Beaker so I just had to play with it ! View attachment 592315

Measure your carboy (diameter) and go buy a small plastic trash can for that. If you converted a cooler for a mash tun then mount the spigot on the trash can for easy draining (when sitting on a counter top).

Drain half the water out and add ice. Easy Peasy. :yes:

Awesome! I kept reading conflicting opinions... I've never had that sour ale before! I made a starter last week with a single packet of 05 with 2.5l wort and in 5 hours my Imperial Stout was about to blow the lid and I had to put a blow off on it later that night! Hehe. That's when first got my stir plate and Beaker so I just had to play with it ! View attachment 592315
You may know this already but if you put a T-shirt over the carboy and let it hang in the water the evaporation will lower the temp a couple degrees and it can also guard against skunked beer.

Measure your carboy (diameter) and go buy a small plastic trash can for that. If you converted a cooler for a mash tun then mount the spigot on the trash can for easy draining (when sitting on a counter top).

Drain half the water out and add ice. Easy Peasy. :yes:
that sounds like a good plan which I will follow! I have a lager refrigerator but I have an Oktoberfest in there going at 50 so I couldn't throw the ale in LOL.

that sounds like a good plan which I will follow! I have a lager refrigerator but I have an Oktoberfest in there going at 50 so I couldn't throw the ale in LOL.

Good deal.

I have 2 kegs of Marzen (Oktoberfestbier) that I made last March.

One is spot on in flavor, body, etc., and the other is more full bodied and a couple of % points higher.

Got my yeast starter going for sunday...needed a good head start since the yeast isn't the freshest and it's a pretty big beer.

Latest posts

Back