What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work about a mile or so from Weyermann's.

(Many years ago), I brought a 5L mini-keg of Schlenkerla Rauchbier back from Bamberg and took it to a friends retirement party. The "Bacon Beer", as they called it, was a real hit.
I bet, I'd buy some right now. My beer won't be fully carbed for a few days. Hell after work it will be cold enough to drink.

Yeah it's very easy and you should if you like firing up the smoker in fall. Best beer to drink while smoking meats.

Smoking your own malt is great too. My first clone was with apple. I've done several iterations with different woods. A blend of maple, cherry and hickory give off a very bacon like flavor. After smoking you need to dry the wetted grain. Drying in the oven also gives the malt a Vienna/Munich like taste to the malt besides having an awesome smoke flavor. Read this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Weyermans beech malt can be bought online too.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/weyermann-smoked-malt

I personally think DIY malt is better.
My LHBS seems to have chateau smoked, chateau peated, and weyermann beech. Not gonna smoke my own LOL.

I used to work about a mile or so from Weyermann's.

(Many years ago), I brought a 5L mini-keg of Schlenkerla Rauchbier back from Bamberg and took it to a friends retirement party. The "Bacon Beer", as they called it, was a real hit.

It's great with a chunk of smoked ham!

My LHBS seems to have chateau smoked, chateau peated, and weyermann beech. Not gonna smoke my own LOL.
Whatever you do don't use peat unless you have a recipe for a Scottish Ale that calls for it. Peat is NOT a sub for rauch malt.

My recommendation is to get the weyerman beech.

I don't know about the Chateau Smoked or the peated. Again I wouldn't try the Chateau Peated on anything other than something Scottish. A little peat goes a long way. They have grades of peat. That's worth knowing when you're buying and what's called for in the recipe.

I've NEVER used peat, what I've tasted I didn't like at all. Tasted/smelled very phenolic like burnt circuit boards. Very much a turn off to me.

I did a porter with peat smoked malt once and a quarted pound was too much for 5 gallons. Was great for making beer brats though.
Tastes definitely vary, because when I put 4oz peated malt in my porter, I can barely detect it. However, I have yet to make a great, very smokey (to me) beer. Mostly because when I've gone above 4oz, I just went bonkers and add stupid amounts of various smoked malts without any real plan and ended up with a mess.

Anyway, what I did for beer yesterday was add the first dose of honey to my braggot since fermentation had slowed a bit. This morning the yeast was ripping again. Also, a pint glass holds about 22oz of honey if you're curious...

Whatever you do don't use peat unless you have a recipe for a Scottish Ale that calls for it. Peat is NOT a sub for rauch malt.

My recommendation is to get the weyerman beech.

I don't know about the Chateau Smoked or the peated. Again I wouldn't try the Chateau Peated on anything other than something Scottish. A little peat goes a long way. They have grades of peat. That's worth knowing when you're buying and what's called for in the recipe.

I've NEVER used peat, what I've tasted I didn't like at all. Tasted/smelled very phenolic like burnt circuit boards. Very much a turn off to me.

I don't know if I already mentioned in, but I used peat malt in a Scotch Silly (Clone Brews, p 63, I think). It tasted pretty good. Reminded me of Scotch Whisky.

drank beer. Acrospires were popping on my barley, so i laid them out with the box fan to dry for kilning. drank more beer. Checked to see if my low cal amber was done yet still at 1.002 so needs a day or so more. drinking beer at this moment still, and posting to a homebrew forum...:mug:

not really for beer but it's my first full day of independant cigarette smoking i've had in a couple years too! got me about 2-3 more weeks of homebrew, AND homegrown!

Went looking for spanner wrench. Looks like I need to buy one.

I connected my Schlenkerla Clone. Bleed off the first pint, my perlick was drippy. Chalked it up that it needed cleaning. It did.

I loosen the facet-shank ring, pop off the old one, put in the new one. "With pliers" attach the beer line, beer every where. Pop it off, tighten, reconnect, beer every where again. Third try, reconnect. It's drippy at connection.

I'm going to do what I should have years ago. Buy a damn spanner wrench! For a guy who likes tools, I'm feeling like a tool for not having one.

No place in town has spanner wrenches so I'm gonna find one in Northern Brewer or More Beer.

siphoned 10 gals of beer into two cornies...put in fridge, excited to see if the protein rest helps it not have a mouthfeel of some sorta plant milk....

co2 tank is going on a year and it's out of liquid, so only a matter of day(s)? welding shop is closed on sundays, so i'm just hopeing it doesn't go dry tomorrow!

siphoned 10 gals of beer into two cornies...put in fridge, excited to see if the protein rest helps it not have a mouthfeel of some sorta plant milk....

co2 tank is going on a year and it's out of liquid, so only a matter of day(s)? welding shop is closed on sundays, so i'm just hopeing it doesn't go dry tomorrow!
That's why you need two... buddy!

I always have this argument with my wife when I had a propane grill.

I'd ask her when do you figure you're out of gas? When you're fuqqin cooking. The absolute worst time...

.... Too late/drunk to drive to the convenience store to get a replacement. Very embarrassing if you have company.

In this case you can't even go to a convenience store, so all the more reason to have two.

That's why you need two... buddy!

I always have this argument with my wife when I had a propane grill.

I'd ask her when do you figure you're out of gas? When you're fuqqin cooking. The absolute worst time...

.... Too late/drunk to drive to the convenience store to get a replacement. Very embarrassing if you have company.

In this case you can't even go to a convenience store, so all the more reason to have two.

don't want to drop 150 on another 20lb'er...but now that you mention it, i remember seeing this though...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-injector-ball-lock.html

don't want to drop 150 on another 20lb'er...but now that you mention it, i remember seeing this though...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-injector-ball-lock.html
That would be a good back up. I forgot I hand one of them. I had the 5lb bottle before having a gas source for this growler.

I'd do that for the next time or for the next mobile keg party.
20181006_164538.jpeg

Last edited:
That would be a good back up. I forgot I hand one of them. I had the 5lb bottle before having gas source for this growler.

I'd do for the next time or for the next mobile keg party.
View attachment 591617

Fancy! When i go places with beer i just fill up some reused 1liter plastic soda bottles....

Fancy! When i go places with beer i just fill up some reused 1liter plastic soda bottles....
I usually use some 1L swing tops.

I got this for myself on father's day. Was 50% off at Best Buy. $59 for the Yeti growler, the disconnect screw on top with regulator, gas bottles, and a standard screw on top. Like you'd have on a thermos.

It was a steal.. I've only used it once since this last father's day.

My 20#'er usually lasts me a year. unless i get a leaky keg lid or o-ring....That's why i started parking it on a analog bath scale so i can keep my eye on it.
so i think i'll stick with my one tank. But that little co2 cartridge thing would be nice to have 'just in case'!

But worst comes to worse...i always have my liquor cabinet to fall back on!

100_0489.JPG

And for beer, i'm putting the first half of my now dry sprouted barley in the oven

Kegged a pumpkin ale (my two daughters insisted I brew one for them) and made a Fresh Squeezed clone.

Now it’s time to have 1 or 4 home brews, a nice cigar and some college ball!

Spent the entire day painting the eaves...because we are finally buying the house we've been renting for ten years, and the appraiser for the loan said to. Beer related? Oh hell yes, so I can keep on brewing. At this stage in our life (him mid 40's, me early 50's, yes I'm a cougar) moving would be an absolute beotch, not to mention finding a house where I could have my brewery set up the way I like it. Painting was cut short tonight by a surprise discovery of a hornet's nest in the siding (husband got stung on the ear), since disabled with duct tape and insecticide, so I made a deal...I'll get up at 4am and brew, once done will finish the painting. Sometimes I'm a good wife.

Spent the entire day painting the eaves...because we are finally buying the house we've been renting for ten years, and the appraiser for the loan said to. Beer related? Oh hell yes, so I can keep on brewing. At this stage in our life (him mid 40's, me early 50's, yes I'm a cougar) moving would be an absolute beotch, not to mention finding a house where I could have my brewery set up the way I like it. Painting was cut short tonight by a surprise discovery of a hornet's nest in the siding (husband got stung on the ear), since disabled with duct tape and insecticide, so I made a deal...I'll get up at 4am and brew, once done will finish the painting. Sometimes I'm a good wife.

Homebrewing 50 something cougar, huh? i just turned 40, you wouldn't happen to have a sister?:mug:

Racked my orange IIPA from the boiling pot to the the fermenter and to my horror discovered that I had forgotten the 80g 5min hop bag into the wort for the night! Hoping it's not ruined by that... Also preparing to bottle a 17L batch that's going entirely to my neighbor as payment for the kids ATV he gave me some time ago.

Racked my orange IIPA from the boiling pot to the the fermenter and to my horror discovered that I had forgotten the 80g 5min hop bag into the wort for the night! Hoping it's not ruined by that... Also preparing to bottle a 17L batch that's going entirely to my neighbor as payment for the kids ATV he gave me some time ago.

Dry Hop?

What a deal on that ATV.

Dry Hop?

What a deal on that ATV.

Heh well yea I am also dry hopping it which is why I'm worried to go overboard since the 5min hop addition was 80grams...

The ATV has a split case so bit on the fence whether I'm either gonna repair or replace the engine, or do an e-conversion. I'd reckon 1kw would get that thing flying (and I could make a remote kill-switch if the brats refuse to stop :) )

Poured another Magilla Gorilla Takes A Banana Holliday. A Chocolate & Banana Stout.

Attempting to multi task, football and little brewing prep.

Just weighed out 2lbs of malt and distilled water to mash some pale malt into crystal malt. Now to wait for the absorption to happen. Targeting 50% moisture used 29fl oz so I don't lose any sugars from standing liquid.

BTW - This is my mash tun.

71n5ICKunsL._SX425_.jpeg

Added the 3rd and last honey addition to my braggot. Yeast still going strong. Will check gravity in a couple weeks, aiming for 18%.

Washed three kegs with hot PBW and rinsed, using my new keg washer that I made with a 1/3 horse power sump pump and a 7 gallon bucket. Worked like a charm and cleans the main keg portion with a spray ball and both dip tubes at the same time with ball lock connections. I have a Mark II keg washer, but it just wasn't strong enough for me washing the keg with both dip tubes at the same time, so hence the new keg washer build. Cuts the time in half.

John

Testing label designs for a small batch I am brewing for my friend’s birthday gift....I obviously misspelt Doppelbock!!!

IMG_3041.JPG

Back