First All Grain attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Going to be doing my first AG batch soon. It will be batch sparge. Just wondering about how long I should plan on the whole thing taking. Any pearls of wisdom for things to watch out for and avoid? Should I not worry about a decoction attempt? Thanks for the input!!!

Keep it simple.

From start up (crushing grains while heating water) to yeast pitch & clean up, I usually take about 4-5 hours.

My first few batches AG took about 9 hours but I was fly sparging very slowly. Probably two hours just to sparge. It may not take you that long but then again it may. After you get a couple under your belt you will get your own system down and figure out what speeds up the process with your unique processes and system. Now days I'm relaxing and completely done in 5 hours - I batch sparge now. Main thing is... Plan everything out ahead of time and clean as you go.

Ditto on the Denny brew link. I find that taping my brew sheet in front of me helps to insure that I don't skip a step...

As far as how long...just double how long you think it will take and go from there. Good luck and keep it fun.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/sh...ssion-08-13-06-Batch-Sparging-with-Denny-Conn

The best advice I can give you is to listen to this podcast with Denny Conn. I was confused about all the different ways to do All-Grain. Even after settling on Batch Sparging it seemed there were so many different methods and terms it was confusing. I listened to this podcast and was blown away at how easy the process actually is. All I can say is listen to what Denny says and you can't go wrong. Now I know there are other ways than his and other techniques but I found this way to be the easiest for me to understand. I'm on my second batch and loving the fact I made the switch to
All-Grain. To me it's a load more fun and I like having total control over the process. Good Luck And Good Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first batch took me 6 hours. I've got it down to a little less than 5 now. Have fun and good luck!

My only pearl of wisdom is that if you're brewing outside, and start any time after 3PM, make sure you have work lights.

At the end of my first AG batch, I was racking into the carboy by the light of my 40W porch light, and still had plenty of cleanup after that. After that, I'm a morning brewer.

Back