My Beer Brewing Journal From The Dry State

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this thread serves the purpose?

• Yes

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
and my pic is not done at that point, you want to see i'd guess about 20-30% with acrospires like that...it's a guessing game best played by feel....
There is another simple way take a sample and check the smooth side of a kernel. If the acrospires in most grains 3/4th the lenght of a kernel its good for drying.
Source
https://renegadebrewing.com/malt-barley

There is another simple way take a sample and check the smooth side of a kernel. If the acrospires in most grains 3/4th the lenght of a kernel its good for drying.
Source
https://renegadebrewing.com/malt-barley

in my expereince, i get better effecency if 50% are popping long... malting is a 'trade secret', just like the dope cooks 'methods'.....now that you have a source for suitable barley though, you'll realize the internet doesn't match your experience...

unlike here and brewing, malting people still think they can take your soul for......

and on that, i would recomend using something like brewer's friend or some sorta brewing software to compare your results on yield per batch!

in my expereince, i get better effecency if 50% are popping long... malting is a 'trade secret', just like the dope cooks 'methods'.....now that you have a source for suitable barley though, you'll realize the internet doesn't match your experience...

unlike here and brewing, malting people still think they can take your soul for......

and on that, i would recomend using something like brewer's friend or some sorta brewing software to compare your results on yield per batch!
Exactly theory doesn't always run parallel with a practical hands on experience.

just do some research on aflatoxin and fussarium for me.....i don't want you to get food poisoning and kill yourself...nor get scared, it's still safer then eating chicken!
Exactly the farm we eat these days is a poison. That's why I stopped eating it.
Well few minutes ago I checked my barley. Few grains are over modified and out of the three randomly selected samples the acrospire is 3/4th in most kernels though few are under modified so I am gonna give it another 12 hours before I start to dry it.
Damn after a 1 year struggle and looking around i found a barley that is surprising me. So far so good.

i want to crack a joke you being a drug lord, but around my neck of the woods, that's all it'd be....
Well jokes aside I have a question about barley malt de culming.
The roots will fall off but the acrospire wont because its under the husk. How do you deal with it? Later the acrospire wont give beer a off vegetable like flavor or add too much protein?

Well jokes aside I have a question about barley malt de culming.
The roots will fall off but the acrospire wont because its under the husk. How do you deal with it? Later the acrospire wont give beer a off vegetable like flavor or add too much protein?

you might be on-to a premium malt. and just beginning.....kinda like de 'veined' shrimp?

Deculming is to knock the rootlets (the "culms") off. Unless you're going to dehusk malted barley the acrospire remains in place. Note for "fully modified" malt the acrospire length is typically 75% of the seed length so they just shrivel in place...

Cheers!

Deculming is to knock the rootlets (the "culms") off. Unless you're going to dehusk malted barley the acrospire remains in place. Note for "fully modified" malt the acrospire length is typically 75% of the seed length so they just shrivel in place...

Cheers!
Well prior to this I only malted wheat actually and in wheat the whole acrospire and roots fall off. So hence the funny comparison was born lol.

 Batch # 2 Update
 Brewing date:12/04/2023
Og:1.0351
Fg:1.000
Abv:4.5%
Malt: Pale malt 2.8Kg
Yeast: CS31 Ale Yeast.
So that was my first-ever beer successfully brewed from barley. And it was brewed using Reinheitsgebot I.e German Purity Law.
@IslandLizard @bracconiere buddies I followed your advice and froze the wort in a separate bottle and later used it for carbonation. The carbonation was good and strong and somehow felt more natural.The beer head was good.
Well looks like brewhouse efficiency is a issue here. This time I toasted my malt a little in the oven so perhaps that reduced its diastatic potential.
IMG-20230423-WA0007.jpeg

20230423_035922.jpg

Batch #3
Hefeweizen Clone

Brewing Date:23-05-2023
Og:1.0532
Fg:1.0000
Abv: 7%
Homemade Malt:2 Kg wind malt,2 Kg wheat pale malt.
Yeast:CS31
Hops: Hallertau Herzberg.
Overall good. Though the head retention was for a short time.

20230628_021355.jpg

Last edited:
That looks delicious!

Those bubbles on the inside of the glass may be due to detergent film or perhaps some dust or lint, etc., creating nucleation points.
Bubbles are because of the over carbonation I guess.I put it in the freezer for two hours before drinking. It also cold crashed the yeast before freezing it was little cloudy.

Back