John Palmer's "How to Brew"...item under review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRock947

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was looking around Amazon and looked up "How to Brew" by John Palmer so I could put it in my wish list and it states that this book is an "Item Under Review". The statement was very ambiguous about why its under review...well it give 3 reasons why but not very specific. So what gives, why is it under review?

Not sure what the deal is, but it seems like the issues people are having are related to the Kindle version.

I just moved the Kindle version into my wish list. I did not see anything about a review.

Yeah...I was thinking about getting the Kindle version too...it seems its only the hard copy of the book that is under review or at least that's the way its seems to me.

Not really sure but some of the user reviews mention having some issues with the accuracy of the conversion to kindle.

You can buy the hard copy from the Walmart website and choose the store pick up option. That's what I did. At the time it was the cheapest since I didn't have to pay for shipping.

Why anyone would buy a reference book that will be highly used in an E-format is beyond me...

You can buy the hard copy from the Walmart website and choose the store pick up option. That's what I did. At the time it was the cheapest since I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I guess I was being thick headed. I didn't even think to check out Walmarts site. Thanks for the heads up.

Why anyone would buy a reference book that will be highly used in an E-format is beyond me...

I have the E-version of Brewing Classic Styles. I reference it all the time on my phone. I'm not sure I get your point.

afr0byte said:
I have the E-version of Brewing Classic Styles. I reference it all the time on my phone. I'm not sure I get your point.

He is saying why buy a hard copy when you can get an E-copy.

This is the digital age, after all.

He is saying why buy a hard copy when you can get an E-copy.

This is the digital age, after all.

Are we reading different posts? He asked why anyone would buy an E version, as far as I can tell (Commas would have been nice.).

I find E-books are excellent for stuff you will read straight through. For anything that I need to jump around in (textbooks, reference books, etc), hard copies are the way to go so you can quickly and easily bounce between pages. At least for me, I spend far more time screwing around with the E-book than actually getting the info I need.

I find E-books are excellent for stuff you will read straight through. For anything that I need to jump around in (textbooks, reference books, etc), hard copies are the way to go so you can quickly and easily bounce between pages. At least for me, I spend far more time screwing around with the E-book than actually getting the info I need.

I suppose that largely depends on how well the text is indexed (for me at least). I have conventional versions of How to Brew, Brewing Better Beer, Brew Like a Monk, etc, so I don't have experience with those. Certainly Brewing Classic Styles is indexed well.

I guess the few experience I have had are sub par. Maybe I'll give something else a whirl in the future and see if my opinion has changed any.

E-books have there place but I like to have a hard copy in my hands.

Thanks for the link for Palmer's free on-line book and I check it out often but an updated hard copy is nice have on the shelf.

Back