Using the yeast cake after dry hoping/ move to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiteface

Reaction score
Doing a biggerish APA, want to use some of the yeast cake from my smaller IPA. So I checked out Mr. Malty. It suggested about half a cup for 1.070 OG. I'll do a quick and dirty wash to rinse away most of the dry hop debris, so I think I'm good there and then pitch it into the cooled wort of the APA(speak up if you think the oils from the hops will inhibit the yeast in any way). I had been considering moving my IPA to a secondary at the end of this week, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying to not even bother with a secondary...my concern is that if I go straight to bottling in about a week and a half, that will be two weeks after I dry hopped as opposed to one, and I'm worried about grassy flavors.

SO my choices are.

1. Leave in primary, bottle and brew on the same day, risk veggie flavors.

2. Move to secondary and brew on the same day, wash yeast leave around a half cup yeast slurry in the primary and pitch on top.

Thoughts?

dry hopping is one of the instances where most people agree that secondaries are good.

normally, people dry hop in secondary, then bottle from there.

#2 sounds like the better bet.

Are you dry hopping your IPA in primary? Is it done fermenting? If it's done you could probably rack to another vessel, let it clear out for a few days, and use your yeast cake for the APA.

I have been dry hopping in the primary, while there has still been some active fermentation. It was a technique I read by one of the guys which has won a few national homebrew contests. That part I'm not too concerned about. It's worked for me in the past, but I've always gone to the secondary in a week. Now I have just been hearing that I shouldn't even bother with a secondary.

I don't know if I'd go two weeks - I've got "grassy" going this long before. I'd vote #2

2 weeks usually isn't long enough to get grassy notes from dry hopping unless you're at elevated temps. I've gone 4 weeks without it and tried others that went longer. IMO its more myth than reality. both options will be fine, just go with whatever you're more comortable with

One more thing, I went on Mr.malty and determined that I needed about 3/4 of a cup of the cake...does that seem right? It seems low compared to a yeast starter, but idk because I haven't done it before

Back