Rust Blichmann false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't even brewed yet with my blichmann kettles and false bottom, but after running water through my new rig once (just to get the hang of it) I noticed that my false bottom already has rust on it. I thought this thing was supposed to be stainless? Has anyone experienced this?

Take a picture and contact Blichmann. I'm guessing this is unusual and they will correct asap.

That's funny! Don't bother, he will tell you to clean it off, at least that's what he did with me. And my false bottom was warped all to hell, the solution from them, "bend it back in place."

Just clean it with bar keepers friend and pretend it doesn't enrage you to pay that much for so little quality.

Factory Fresh!!

DSCN2944.jpg

Why accept a bent false bottom? Or rust? You should be able to return the product to the place you bought it from...

My Blichmann gear has been top notch, 3x20 gallon pots + false bottom + top tier.

Once it's clean, use an acid like Star San to draw the chromium back out to the surface to prevent more of the same.

Why accept a bent false bottom? Or rust? You should be able to return the product to the place you bought it from...

My Blichmann gear has been top notch, 3x20 gallon pots + false bottom + top tier.

I didn't, but I had badger and badger to get the false bottom replaced. I was told they are all warped due to the manufacturing process. They wouldn't even consider replacing the pot.

_

Interesting, and I'm somewhat disappointed to hear this. I will contact Blichmann with a photo when I get home this evening and give them a chance. You are right, for $95 it shouldn't rust if its stainless. It would be different if it was half the cost.

I bought it from High Gravity, and see if they will replace it if Blichmann does not.

You have to remember, it's stainLESS, not stainPROOF.

Get a stainless steel wire brush, or a virgin scotch brite pad and clean it. Then do like suggested, get some StarSan in there to help draw out the chromium and form that chromium oxide layer.

Latest posts

Back