Bought the wrong yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sash

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a Newcastle brown and the recipe calls for British Ale Yeast (WLP005) and I bought a London Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1028). They were out of the British yeast.

Should I try to brew it and see if it's any good or should I run back to the brew store and get something else?

Thanks in advance!

i would give it a try. It willstil make a good beer not exactly what you planned but one of my favorite beers I brewed this summer came about because I bought the wrong yeast.

I think 1098 is much closer to 005... I think the 1028 is going to be a fair amount different.

But that doesn't mean it won't be good. Check wyeast's website to see what the descriptions of 1098 and 1028 are

YEAST STRAIN: 1098 | British Ale™

Back to Yeast Strain List

This yeast allows malt and hop character to dominate the profile. It ferments dry and crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well balanced. Beers will finish clean and neutral. Ferments well down to 64°F (18°C).

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 73-75%
Temperature Range: 64-72 F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Styles:
Blonde Ale
English Barleywine
Northern English Brown Ale
Robust Porter
Scottish Export 80/-
Scottish Heavy 70/-
Scottish Light 60/-

YEAST STRAIN: 1028 | London Ale™

Back to Yeast Strain List

A rich, minerally profile that is bold and crisp with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11%ABV

Styles:
Brown Porter
Dry Stout
English Barleywine
Foreign Extra Stout
Mild
Northern English Brown Ale
Old Ale
Robust Porter
Russian Imperial Stout

I'd say the 1098 sounds more like what your looking for.

From another review:

Yeast Uses: The most common uses for this strain type are porters and stouts. As the manufacturer suggests, milds, old ales, and barley wines are also acceptable styles for this yeast. More often than not, the brewer who uses this strain may be looking for a drier and more mineral oriented beer vs. a fruity and less attenuated style.

I think the 1028 is more of a bigger beer, high attenuation style. Newcastle is a 1.040 beer and fruity is essential.

Back