Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8-Brewer

Reaction score
I have browsed through a few of the infection threads......

the infection that i have does not seem as bad as others, should i still bottle this extract kit?

Details:
German pils
3 weeks in the primary(no infection)
7 days in the secondary (infection appeared 4 days ago) please see below.

Infection 001.jpg

Infection 002.jpg

Infection 003.jpg

This is so easy even I can answer it.

1) Taste it.

2) If it something you want to drink, bottle it. If not, dump it and try again.

3) Focus on avoiding infection in your future batches.

That's a really dark Pils!

i find it difficult to dump being that i am in a dry country (kuwait). It is very difficult for me to obtain all supplies needed.

I sanitized everything involved, but i did not boil the water this time before adding the sanitizer.

It was a concentrated boil, it seemed dark to me as well, i contacted homebreweroutpost.com and posed the same question.

My friend had similar issue last month. There was weird tiny layer on top, beer tasted little acidulous but we decided to bottle it and hope for best.
After ~month in bottle beer turns out almost great- acidulous taste barely feels, I am sure that we wouldnt feel it if we didnt know whole story about it.

I wouldnt dump it, bottle it and hope for the best.
Good luck!

That looks totally normal with some of my good brews. And yes... never dump. Nothing that can hurt you rarely survives in beer. If you don't like it after a month or two in the bottle... save it for those annoying relatives or house guests.:D
Then burn a hookah!!!!

I am no expert, but it does not look out of the ordinary. I would never dump a beer for a tiny thing at the top. If you feel concerned about it, just leave half an inch in the carboy when you transfer it to your bottling bucket.
You beer is a living thing, with a bunch of good yeasties everywhere. Once yeast takes over, it is very unlikely to have an infection.

Back