Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
Just brewed my 3rd extract kit, a brewer's best APA kit. I thought everything went smoothly until I took my OG, measured 1.046 (instructions had a range of 1.051-1.055) I was thinking that dry hopping might help the situation and give this brew a bit more depth. Do I just let it sit in the primary for three weeks then transfer to the secondary and let it sit for 2 weeks? Any suggestions on what to dry hop with?

Dry hopping will not help your gravity problem. Usually extract batches are really close, maybe you topped off with too much water? Anyway, on to the dryhop question....

In really generic terms, let the beer ferment as long as it needs to - 3 weeks will be safe but you should always check with they hydrometer.

At that point, dump in a 1-2 ounces of a good aroma hop (Citra is one of the current hot hops). Let it sit for aother 1-2 weeks. Then bottle or keg! Lots of opinions on using a secondary. I personally do not.

davekippen said:
Dry hopping will not help your gravity problem. Usually extract batches are really close, maybe you topped off with too much water? Anyway, on to the dryhop question....

In really generic terms, let the beer ferment as long as it needs to - 3 weeks will be safe but you should always check with they hydrometer.

At that point, dump in a 1-2 ounces of a good aroma hop (Citra is one of the current hot hops). Let it sit for aother 1-2 weeks. Then bottle or keg! Lots of opinions on using a secondary. I personally do not.

Thanks. wasn't thinking it would help with the gravity problem. My water level was right on. I really can't pinpoint where I went wrong, I followed the directions. I figure dry hopping will give the brew a stronger hop flavor to make up for what may be a 4% ABV beer.

It's hard to get accurate gravity readings with partial boils, often you will not get the wort mixed to a uniform density. That could be your problem.

thasnazzle said:
It's hard to get accurate gravity readings with partial boils, often you will not get the wort mixed to a uniform density. That could be your problem.

That's really interesting! I have been reviewing the brew day and can't find any mistakes. Maybe this was the problem.

Thats probably it. I believe there is a whole thread about this somewhere on HBT. You really have to mix the sh*t out of your wort to insure a proper reading.

Agreed. When I first started I had a HE*L of a time getting the correct gravity reading and I would bet my life it was because things were not mixed well enough. So I made things easier and went all grain and threw away my extract jar!

I'll be using a 5 gallon BB for secondary. Do I use sanitized marbles? I would imagine them being difficult to remove through the neck. What are the disadvantages I using a hop bag without marbles?

I dry hopped with my APA and thought it turned out great. I would personally dryhop with the hop I boiled with. The only way I would personally use more than 2 hops in a beer is if I was trying to get rid of hops.

Any chance the sample you used to measure the OG was too warm? If not the proper temperature the OG will be off.

As for dry hopping I am a big fan of citra, Amarillo and Nelson sauvin.

Been hearing good things about mosaic hops but never used them myself.

The temp was 59 degrees so I don't think that was the problem. Any suggestions on methods for dry hopping? I will be using a 5 gallon better bottle, then bottling.

The temp was 59 degrees so I don't think that was the problem. Any suggestions on methods for dry hopping? I will be using a 5 gallon better bottle, then bottling.

I dry hopped in the primary and just tossed them in as was advised by most on here. I then put my hop bag on the end of the hose I use to transfer to bottling bucket.

patjofo said:

I add the hops to bottom of secondary fermenter and rack on top. Then let sit for 5-14 days or so depending on much flavor I am looking to add.

i've done 4 extract kits now, so i'm by no means an expert,but found that none of my OG were what they should have been. i'm at the point now where i don't even check. leave it in the FV for 2 plus weeks then start checking SG to make sure it's done.

Back