Cold conditioning makes hazy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
After 1 week bottle conditioning i placed a few of my 22 oz wiessbier in to my beer fridge. When i came back to test one for flavor I noticed that allof the bottles where hazy again just like when i bottled them. Why does this happen? And does it correct it self?

AHammer16 said:
After 1 week bottle conditioning i placed a few of my 22 oz wiessbier in to my beer fridge. When i came back to test one for flavor I noticed that allof the bottles where hazy again just like when i bottled them. Why does this happen? And does it correct it self?

This is called "chill haze". Getting a good cold break before putting the wort into the fermenter will precipitate the proteins that cause this and leave a much clearer beer )as long as you avoid transferring those proteins into the fermenter.)

It will not really correct itself at this point, but no worries. You can't taste it and it's only cosmetic.

Also.. weissbeirs are SUPPOSED to be cloudy anyway. Did you want a crystal clear weissbeir?

-walker

Walker said:
Also.. weissbeirs are SUPPOSED to be cloudy anyway. Did you want a crystal clear weissbeir?

-walker

No but it was significantly clearer prior to chilling. Thanks.

Here is a good explanation of it:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html

Basically, cooling the beer creates the haze by bringing out the proteins that were not taken care of by quick cooling the wort. Try warming one up to see if the haze goes away. That means the proteins are dissolving back into the liquid.

As stated above, and in Palmer's book, it is aesthetic only, and will not interfere in the taste or drinkability.

Bear in mind, though, that I am a complete neophyte with brewing, as I am fermenting my first batch now, but I believe I am correct on this.

Back